Need advice on hammerdrill - Christmas present for husband

Page 2 of 2
Jeanne wrote:

I never had Milwaukee, but very familiar with Porter Cable and Dewalt, got a bosch hammer dril a few years ago, corded heavy duty Bull Dog for about $200 which is good for heavy use and not for shop at all. If he is using for Shop, I would get a 18V Bosch, I have two 14V not hummer and love them, quick recharch and lots of power. 18V HD would be the best I would buy. But you do not go wrong with Porter-Cable and or Makita (I say makita because I like it more than other names like Milwaukee and DeWalt). Good Lock MaxEN

Jeanne wrote:

I've owned the Milwaukee 18 volt hammer drill for about two and a half years or so. So far, no problems with the batteries.... it recharges FAST and seems to hold a charge for a very long time.
I have no doubt your husband would be very pleased to find one of these under his tree at Christmas:
http://www.toolsforless.com/product/53.html
$239 for the kit with the drill, two batteries, rapid charger and carrying case. You may find it cheaper somewhere else... I don't know. At the time I bought mine, this was as good a deal as I could find on or offline. Delivery was pretty quick, too.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:22:35 -0500, Jeanne wrote:

I've got one of the first deWalt 18v hammerdrills and it's lovely. It's one of the few tools that I can recommend to someone completely without reservation. The newer ones with the 3 speed gearboxes (mine has 2) should be even better.
Big question--does he have other 18v cordless tools--if so then if there's no reason to do otherwise it's best to buy into the same system so that the batteries are interchangeable.
Among the dewalts the 925KA is the current model that I'd go for but if you find a good deal on a 988KA which is last year's model it should be fine.
As far as places to buy go, <http://www.coastaltool.com is a very reliable source for portable power tools (they're a brick and mortar store that also runs an internet business).
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Second the recommendation for Coastal Tool, an excellent place. I used to work fairly close to their store (both the old one with no parking and the new one) and it was a frequent stop when I went out to lunch (I'm now 1,700 miles away). In fact I just got a couple gift certificates from them for holiday presents to send to friends.
Pete C.
For Jeannie's edification; A hammer drill is one that can be switched from a normal drill that rotates the drill bit to one that in addition to rotating the drill bit also moves the bit in and out a bit. This is helpful when drilling through concrete and the like.
Don Dando

J. Clarke wrote:

Ah. Good point. I'll check.

How about a box with a home made coupon for whatever he wants. He's probably be excited if you offered to go with him to get it. Trying to guess is always a trial and puts both people in a bind, unless he will tell you what he wants. WL

Tue, Dec 5, 2006, 5:22pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jeanne) doth posteth: Hi, My husband asked for a hammerdrill for Christmas. <snip>
Then I'd buy him a gift card, or give him cash. Or, if you want to buy it for him, I'd say ask exactly what he wants, so he'll get exactly what he wants.
I'll be 66 soon, and my mother still buys me things for my birthday, Christmas, etc., that I wouldn't buy for myself at a discount at a yard sale. She never bothers to ask first. The only way Iget anything I actually can use and want, besides new underwear, is if I tell her specifically what I want. She even buys me the wrong aftershave. I give my sons money, green goes with anything, and that way I know damn well they'll be getting something they can use.
JOAT I am, therefore I think.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I'd also like to throw the name Metabo into the discussion. Metabo make *excellent* drills and hammerdrills, corded and cordless. I've had Metabo corded (hammer)drills for 32 years now and they've all been top notch. Wouldn't buy anything else. (Considering that a Hilti would be over the top for my needs, that is).
-Peter
says...

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but last year I switched all my drilling operations to cordless impact drills. I have a Dewalt and a Ryobi, and I love them equally. They get used every day. My question is: has anybody tried hammerdrilling with them? The chucks of impact drills only hold 1/4 inch hex drills or bits, but I haven't seen any cement bits other than round, making it impossible to chuck in impact drills. Anybody have any experience with trying to drill in cement with an impact drill?
On topic, I have a very old Skil hammerdrill that I just happened to need to use last week. It's 20+ years old and has been used lightly, but it still works very well. I inherited it from my Dad.
gw
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 02:21:55 -0500, Gwidman wrote:

What in the name of God is an "impact drill"? Are you talking about one of these things? <http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productIDc41>? Ifso, that's not a drill and is not sold as a drill and the manufacturer makes no assertion that it is usable as a drill.
I suppose if you put a hex-shank drill bit in it it will drill holes but I can't imagine tossing a purpose-made drill to use one of those to drill holes.
As to using it on concrete, Sears has some hex-shank masonry bits that should fit, but I'd be very surprised if it worked very well--a hammer drill hammers on the end of the bit--torque is not the issue.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

The url you provided is exactly as I described. It will do 3x as much work as a standard battery drill. Check it out. I've been using battery drills since they've been invented, and the impact drill fits the bill for all battery drilling. Use one once and you'll buy it. Why so cranky?
GW
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:25:41 -0500, Gwidman wrote:

If you liked that URL check out _this_ one. <http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/dewalt/dw056k-2.htm?L+coastest+knfb3654ff7b3f7b+1165679669
DeWalt has a rebate on their 18v impact driver. The rebate is an 18v hammerdrill.
I've never seen an impact wrench as an alternative to a drill. I know that others use it this way, I consider it to be misusing the tool.
I've used impact drivers. The one time in my life that I've missed one was when I had a flat tire on a car with wheel locks that someone had put on with an impact driver. There was just no way they were coming off with the standard lug wrench. I've never felt any desire for one working with wood, although I suppose if I was building decks or docks or something for a living I'd find it to be handy.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
says...

In addition, I used to use star drills when I was working as a kid. That makes me very old. Go easy on me. I'm just happy to be here talking with you.
gw
says...

Yes. Ordinary 'quick chucks' will shake loose. But, again, Metabo sells a double lock 'quick chuck' (e.g. one you tighten by hand, rather than with a key) that will hold the bit even during hammer drill operations. Pricey ...
-P.
Hi Jeanne I have several battery hammerdrills ( 18v Milwaukee, 14.4v Porter cable, 36v Hilti) . The battery hammerdrills are OK for a few holes (1/4", 3/8" ) in concrete that hasn't cured for too many years. If he has a project that requires drilling a lot of holes or larger diameter holes then he'll need a corded hammerdrill or rotary hammer(bigger). SDS type of chuck works great. This type of drill is rated to about 1" drills max.. If I have to drill more than a couple of 1/4" holes in older concrete I use the corded type SDS chuck rotary hammer. If he only wants to drill an few 1/4" holes and will use the drill most of the time for wood, metal, and as a screw driver the smaller battery hammerdrills are OK. Jack