Need a roof support for a ladder,so no crunch the raingutter

I'm not sure where to go for this kind of question, but I saw a picture of such a thing in a Popular Mechanic magazine a while back. I'm talking about a straight ladder, with a couple of arms going to the roof, so I want crunch the rain gutter. I either like to buy such a thing or maybe make one, if I could get a drawing some place. You guys are so great here, I got lots of help before, so I'm hoping for the best again........Opa Peter

Reply to
PeterM

George E. Cawthon

This can be as simple as: 1) a circa 5' (longer is better, within reason) chunk of 2x6 (as a horizontal 'bumper', wide face against the house, possibly with carpet on the face side) 2) a couple of appropriate lengths perpendicular to it, as 'stand offs', 3) a 'spreader to hold the end of the stand-offs apart at the rung. 4) an 'x-brace' to hold the stand-offs square to the bumper, and eliminate any lateral sway. 5) a hole/slot towards the back of each brace, that fits over a rung on the ladder. (right and left sides of the same rung) 6) a _pulley_ hung from the rung _above_ where the bumper attaches. 7) lightweight rope, from the bumper, through the pulley, and down to the ground.

methodology: A) extend ladder to appropriate hight. possibly measuring against the structure to do so. noting where gutters would contact. B) return ladder to ground, C) put pulley on 1st rung below where gutters 'hit' D) put bumper on ring below pulley. E) thread rope. F) Raise ladder upright. G) pull on rope, to extend bumper to horizontal H) GENTLY let ladder lean against building.

*IF*PARANOID, one builds the bumper/brace to hook over two adjacent vertical rungs, at a fixed angle from the ladder. then there's no risk of the bumper 'pivoting'/'collapsing' while in use.

The amount of 'stand-off' from structure to clearing the gutters *does* vary, _significantly_, by climate/locale, _and_ the design of the building. But, you go up the side of the building, to below the roof-line, _once_, take a measurement, and then build the jig appropriately.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Man are you good with words, I wish I was that smart. Now I got to wait until the morning, so I can follow and digest the information. Honestly, my hat off to you........Thanks, I will be back, got to hit the sack...........Peter

Reply to
PeterM