Neat Router Table Idea

Page 1 of 2
Very Rube Golberg like:
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/makeover/166/id29.htm
Beware of this post!!!!! My Norton detected a malicious script post when I opened the www site below.

In rec.woodworking

Well, I'm running the latest McAfee and it detected nothing of the sort.
Mine did also.
It tried to install a program and some other exe. My security stopped it. would also say be careful.
Jack
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:20:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.
Jack Forbes wrote:

I can't resist pointing out that it was just another ordinary web page to me, a Linux user. Whatever stuff it was trying to do didn't affect me.
Bruce wrote:

stop web pages from intalling software on your machine without your knowledge. It's just some slimy ad spyware if you're lucky.
Norton stopped it.

Probably becuase thats not an anti-virus function. It's a security function. A decent software based firewall would stop this as would a correctly configured web-browser.
Secret Squirrel <Secret> wrote:

Norton anti-virus did stop it.
Squirrel <Secret> says...

me I contacted Fortune City. They said, yes, some of their advertisers did use spyware. It only works, according to them, if you run with Active-X enabled.
When I asked if they'd object if I put a warning to this effect on my web page, they said it was fine with them. So I did.
So disable Active-X or set it to ask you for an OK and you'll be free of spyware from any site - at least the kind that uses Active-X.
To see the warning go (with Active-X disabled) to:
http://members.fortunecity.com/lgb1 /
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

In rec.woodworking

I've answered this once but I'll point out that I use MOZILLA for a web browser which is why it didn't give me any trouble, just like the guy bragging about running Linux.
ZoneAlarm detected the mshta.exe program trying to access the web immediately after opening that link.

2manytoyz wrote:

Sorry if this is OT, but Googling, I discovered this is apparently a type of attack I haven't heard of before. Here's a July 29, 03 link.
http://www.nsclean.com/psc-htas.html
I'm testing a web-services app and the client uses mshta.exe. I'm going to reboot before going back to "normal" web surfing.
-- Mark
Hackers are crafty little snots with no life. It never ceases to amaze how many ways they can screw up my computers. I'm running Pest Patrol, NAV, and ZoneAlarm (freeware). Fortunately, ZA caught it. It notifies me each time a program tries to access the web. Worth installing if you don't have a personal firewall yet. And, FWIW, this is on topic as the WW link caused this discussion!
Robert

2manytoyz wrote:

Then it sounds Zone Alarm stops the nasty little spyware program from using mshta.exe, while an up to date Norton AV stops it from being installed in the first place.
In rec.woodworking

Of course Zone Alarm has a known bug where it begins running at a higher priority than it should and slows your system to a crawl till you reboot.
News to me. I have it on 3 computers at home, another at work. One machine stays on 24/7. The others are on 7-10 hours a day. Two of the machines are only 400 MHz Celeron Emachines. Haven't noticed any sort of reduction of speed after hours of use. Surfin the web on my cable modem, burning DVDs, ripping CDs, downloading music, running Photoshop 7... you know, the usual stuff.
I'll keep it, works great for me.
Robert

In rec.woodworking

It isn't news to zone alarm. The reason I know about this is because I helped a friend figure out what was wrong with her computer and this is a documented bug. I'm not sayint it effects all system, not even sure which ones it does effect. If you like it, rock on. As I've said, I prefer one piece of software rather than adding a program like that to do the work the original program should be doing.
Hey, it stopped you! Tom. Bruise wrote:>Of course Zone Alarm has a known bug where it begins running at a higher

Someday, it'll all be over....
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote:

So would a sledgehammer. Do you advocate that?
this thread is foolish, let's kill it. Someday, it'll all be over....