Mounting & Covering Photos on Wood

I have seen instances where photos were mounted on wood and then covered with what appears to be epoxy. I tried this the other day but the epoxy developed a yellow tint as it cured. I am using West System epoxy. Does anyone know what is usually used to get a clear finish. I also tried using Minwax Helmsman Polyurethane but got similar results. Does anyone know what product I can use that will give me a clear finish? Thanks for all your help.
The process is called decoupage.
Start here: http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/decoupage/a/012201a.htm
It's very easy, and you'll get no yellowing.

Yes decopauge. If I recall you can use elmers white glue.

I'd float on casting resin if you want a thicker coat. Stores like Michael's Arts and Crafts sell many different options for decoupage, including finishes and resins.
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
trvlnmny wrote:

Since you've attempted to use epoxy I'm guessing you're looking for a thicker coating over the photos than what a conventional finish would provide. If this be the case take a look at "KraftKote Clear Polymer Finish" at:
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-94__sku-GGGEE.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Here's a bar top finishing video with suggestions for casting resins. http://fwd4.me/5dc
I would have suggested Build 50 but it's no longer made.
-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca
trvlnmny wrote:

Thick coat, polyester casting resin
Thin coat, lacquer or water base poly, lacquer is usual.
--

dadiOH