Mounting & Covering Photos on Wood

I have seen instances where photos were mounted on wood and then covered with what appears to be epoxy. I tried this the other day but the epoxy developed a yellow tint as it cured. I am using West System epoxy. Does anyone know what is usually used to get a clear finish. I also tried using Minwax Helmsman Polyurethane but got similar results. Does anyone know what product I can use that will give me a clear finish? Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
trvlnmny

The process is called decoupage.

Start here:

's very easy, and you'll get no yellowing.

Reply to
SnA Higgins

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Since you've attempted to use epoxy I'm guessing you're looking for a thicker coating over the photos than what a conventional finish would provide. If this be the case take a look at "KraftKote Clear Polymer Finish" at:

Nova

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:22:32 -0800 (PST), the infamous trvlnmny scrawled the following:

Here's a bar top finishing video with suggestions for casting resins.

I would have suggested Build 50 but it's no longer made.

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd float on casting resin if you want a thicker coat. Stores like Michael's Arts and Crafts sell many different options for decoupage, including finishes and resins.

Reply to
Nonny

Thick coat, polyester casting resin

Thin coat, lacquer or water base poly, lacquer is usual.

Reply to
dadiOH