Motor Reversing

I assume these regs are not enforced on saw sales then?

I know my sliding saw (cheapo) has a dynamic brake in it that slows it down after a few seconds of power down but I do not have a T/S. The ones I have seen (probably old units) spin forever after power off.

Reply to
Josepi

Now we know what the "J." stands for...."Jeep"

Reply to
Josepi

Mike, typical caliper pads are unloaded by the play in the wheel bearings and a bit of runout on the disc. Unless you have some wobble in the blade, the pads will continue to drag on the blade. Just one more thing to work out. Build self-retracting pad retractors and... You'll be rich!

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The design of a hydraulic brake caliper IS self retracting - based on the flex in the square section "O" rings that seal the piston in the bore.

Reply to
clare

Please note that I never bought in to the caliper thing, before you include me in an argument I've opted out of. :-)

I am still talking about a bicycle style spring and/or solenoid/magnetic brake.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have a Delta radial arm that uses an electromagnet and puck against a disk of the opposite side of the motor from the blade. Fair function- stops the blade in about 6 seconds.

Reply to
Morgans

Only to an engineer in an office, not in real life.

Go jack up a disc braked car and spin the wheel. Now climb inside and give the brake pedal a good stomp. Then spin the wheel again. You'll find that they're not quite self-retracting. A quick pop on the side (top or bottom) of the tire with your hand will release it, though.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wull, nevermindthen.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Coyote ugly.

Reply to
krw

A dual piston or 4 piston caliper will release virtually immediately. A single piston caliper will release the inside pad immediately, and depending on the slider design, can also release the outer pad immediately (rubber bushed pin type sliders) Those with metal plate type sliders will not release the outside pad without a bit of "external help" - and if those sliders are corroded and/or inadequately lubricated, often not even WITH significant external help.

If you get corrosion on the pistons, or crud buildup around the piston, the self retracting is a lot less effective.

Reply to
clare