Mitre Saw Add-On Fence Length

I am currently designing add-on fence 'wings' with measuring device (left and right) for my CMS. I have room up to 56" per side. Should I just make them 48" long as I am using T-slot extrusion for the stop mechanism which is maximum 48"? Obviously I can add a second piece to make up the remaining length if I make them longer.
Your input would be appreciated.

Is your saw moveable? If so, I'd go with 48", but allow myself the option to attach another full 48" section for when I need to make longer cuts.
JP
Perhaps I should have mentioned that it is for a stationary mitre bench.
Jay Pique wrote:

maico (in snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| I am currently designing add-on fence 'wings' with measuring device | (left and right) for my CMS. I have room up to 56" per side. | Should I just make them 48" long as I am using T-slot extrusion for | the stop mechanism which is maximum 48"? Obviously I can add a | second piece to make up the remaining length if I make them longer. | | Your input would be appreciated.
The answer depends on your work. The minimum length depends on the length of stock you work with. Obviously, 56" per side isn't going to work if you're going to be cutting 10' boards - or even if you're going to be cutting within 40" of the end of an 8' board.
I think the most helpful response is to suggest you give some thought to what you're doing and work it out for yourself.
I like your viewpoint of the 8' board: it would be a problem to split it in half if it were a 48" fence. Mind you, there is at least another foot between the blade and the start of the add on fence, therefore giving me 60".
The only potential problem is possibly not having a hard stop for cuts longer than 60". Having a physical fence there really doesn't matter otherwise.
Thank you for your input. Is there anything else I should consider?