mice

Rodents are a complete pain in the rear in the shop. Unfortunately, I have a lot of these fuzzy visitors, since I own 10 acres of orange groves and my shop butts right up against the groves. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into the shop and turned on the lights, only to have a huge rat run across the floor, trying to find a way out.
Unfortunately, rodents gnaw and if left unchecked, can and will eat your woodpile, chew on your electrical cords, etc. I had one of the seats from my van stored in the garage for a couple weeks and when I put it back, I found that half the seat-belts had been chewed on. That's going to cost a bit to replace.
I've got poison traps out and they usually only last a couple days. Very rarely do I ever find a body, they probably die out in the fields and are eaten by other vermin, which hopefully pick up on the poison and likewise die.
Now just wait until you get possums in your shop. Those are fun. They've got attitudes. :)
Brian Henderson wrote:

It's all bluster. Kick 'em in the face and they roll over.
[Their jaws aren't made for anything more strenuous than chewing bugs.]
er
--
email not valid

brianlanning wrote:

Always had complete success with the little packets of poison, more certain than traps. They must love to tear them open... and you can drop them in discrete places where pets won't get to them.
Sometimes one will die in a wall or somewhere, that's a problem if it is damp there, otherwise it'll desiccate.
My understanding is they seek water after having eaten it, and it seems they mostly do leave the building before they die.
er
--
email not valid

That is true. I got this really bad odor in my laundry room a couple months back, went down into the basement and found four dead rats that had been trying to get under the water heater, presumably for the above reason, and had cooked. I also found a small dead possum that had gotten down there and was stuffed behind the heater.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Brian, Last summer while on a fishing expidition SWBO and I had an encounter with a tribe of deer mice which had moved into the engine compartment of Our ancient Sierra 1/2 ton, building a nest in the plastic case which houses the fusibles with all the toilet rolls that had been getting torn up ( we were blaming chipmunks). Open the hood and mice would swarm everywhere .. seemed like about 5 generations, maybe a family reunion or sumpfin.
Being camped some 35 miles off the beaten track with no one else about, and not relishing the idea of a long hike to the highway if they should somehow manage to short out the wiring system I set up a plastic tub, about 12 in deep, filled 2/3 full of water. Then impaled an mt condensed milk can through with a wire fastening the wire ends to the opposite sides of the tub, allowing it to spin freely. Set up a flat stick as a runway up to one end of the wire. Smeared the can generously with peanut butter, and the first night 17 bodies were collected, 11 the next night, and then no more. Side benefit was in the day time watching the chipmunks doing the highdive while trying to clean off the peanut butter. For a while there we were catching more mice than walleye! Groggins.
I learned the peanut butter on a can trick at a remote lake in Ontario, Canada last summer. The Walleye love the mice! robo hippy
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Groggins
The Groggins entity posted thusly:

That's the absolute best mouse trap if you don't have a good cat.
Second best are the little wind-up multiple-catch traps. You do have to check them often though, otherwise they eat each other in the holding part, and stink the place up.
Larry

Use a raisin instead. Press it down onto the bait pan, good and hard. They can't possibly get it off without springing the trap -- and IME the trap works 100% when baited with a raisin.
--
Regards,
Or a piece of lightly cooked bacon tied on with cotton. Lasts for about 5 mice or 2 weeks, whichever comes first.

brianlanning wrote: [snip]>

I actually spotted on trotting across my hearth. I BOUNDED out of my chair and grabbed him with my hand. He must have surprised as hell and just froze. I carried him outside and let him go across the street. And no, he hasn't come back.     kreegah!,     jo4hn gronk!

Lemme guess... Buckley's?
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 3:17am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (MichaelWhite) does say: Then here's a site you'll -really- want to block: http://bonsaikitten.com
This one should be enjoyed too.. http://www.richsalter.btinternet.co.uk /
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
The brianlanning entity posted thusly:

Sounds funny, but be aware that some mice carry Hanta Virus, a not altogether pleasant thing to die of. I don't know where you live, and it may not be a problem for you, but it sure is around here (western Canada).
I treat all mouse infestations very seriously, and avoid contact with their droppings and urine, which will both carry the virus to you.

Yes, and as above, be very careful how you handle it.
The bucket of water/broom handle/coffee can/peanut butter trick is excellent and cheap.
We're in chicago. IIRC, hanta virus is a dry/western thing. Most of the cases I've heard about have been in colorado/wyoming type places. Still, I was worried about it here. I set the trap again last night, no mice. I think we may have gotten all of the residents.
brian