MDF Question

I have been given some pieces of what I think is MDF. It is less than 1/8" thick and I can use more. Does MDF come this thin and where can I get more? Thanks for any and all help.
Yes, MDF can come that thin. You might have hardboard as well.
You can usually tell MDF by its matte sheen, and looking at the sides, you can see that there are compressed "layers". Hardboard has a more dense "shiny" sheen to it. It will feel very slippery. MDF is smooth and has a more "grip" to it. All subjective I know. Best would be to take a piece of it and go to your supply house and match it up.
How does it cut? Lots of dust? MDF throws off dust like nothing and it gets everywhere. I spend days cleaning up after I cut it.
Here's a great link to hardboard, with a picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard
Where to get more? Some of the big box stores carry it. Check with your local cabinet supply place - must be one nearby. They probably carry it as well.
MJ

Yes, could be hardboard with two smooth faces. The manufacturing processes are different (one wet and one dry) but to the user there is not much difference.
Tim W
You are an expert . Hardboard with two smooth faces is avaiable.
Thin HDF (High Density Fiberboard) is another good choice.
----------- http://www.Towood.com/ Online Marketplace For Timber, Wood, Furniture, Floor, MDF, HDF, Plywood, OSB, Chipboard

No, the regular thickness of MDF are : 9mm / 10mm / 12mm / 15mm / 16mm / 18mm / 21mm / 24mm
http://www.towood.com/news_detail.php?id@1&title=Medium%20Density%20Fibreboard%20-%20MDF

Sorry, made a mistake.
My answer should be "yes".
http://www.Towood.com /
---

I have 4mm here and 6mm is also common.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action tail&fh_secondid76269&fh_view_size&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=MDF&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts88722805869&isSearchlse
Yes, 3mm, 4mm and 6mm MDF is also common .
---
In article <68556c59-c7a7-4930-b8d9-af56069b8680

If it's that thin it's likely "hardboard".
Take a small length and put it into water.
MDF will be in layers of fiber - It tends to open up like a book!
Martin
On 11/1/2010 6:13 PM, trvlnmny wrote:

I heard of a good one - forgot to mention.
Custom - have to ask for it - waterproof (different glue) MDF.
It is used outdoors in signs and such.
Martin
On 11/1/2010 6:13 PM, trvlnmny wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@consolidated.net says...

There's water resistant MDF and then there's Extira which is intended for outdoor use.
However if it's less than 1/8" thick it's far, far more likely to be hardboard.