material for shop floor

I am building a new house. The rough in for the shop (450 sq ft) is 3/4 ply glued and screwed to 12 inch TGI joists. I have been looking for material for the floor. One thought is "car siding". If you turn it over it is a flat surface. However, underneath, the joints have a thin spot where the tongue and groove meet.

--------------------||----------------------------- ____________________||___ ______| / \ ----------------/ \---------------------------

I am skeptical of this plus the fact that the wood is pine and may be a bit soft for a shop. My only other alternative seems to be a #2 or #3 oak plank flooring. The remainder of the house will be oak F&S.

Has anybody out there used something different with success (that doesn't break the bank).

Len

Reply to
Len Lopez

I didn't, but wish I had: SYP t&g. It's pine, but it will stand up to normal shop abuse extremely well.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Why? It's supported and only 1/8" or so...

That's an advantage, actually, imo. It isn't soft other than a few dents and dings and things that invariably get dropped aren't nearly so badly damaged...

Why is that the only other alternative? There are all kinds of siding and flooring in many other profiles.

I'd consider 6" ship-lap as one alternative. It can be had in fir, white or yellow pine, cypress, ... For such application, I'm partial to the yellow pine as being a little harder than white yet reasonably inexpensive.

See above...or, of course, many simply use the ply for a shop.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth