Matched Dowel and Plug Set-How to use?

says "Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery and then cutting plugs to fill the hole is a frequent woodworking task. And it is best done with matched tooling designed for this purposes"

But the two pieces would cut pretty much the same hole; a plug cut with one will be way too small to fill the recess cut by the other. Either I am really dumb, or their catalog is screwed up.(Okay, the smart money is on the first possibility)

Any idea how these are used?

Reply to
toller

I think you missed the part about "matched sets". One for cutting the plug, one for making the hole to accept the plug.

Bob S.

> It says "Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery and

Reply to
BobS

> It says "Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery and

It says: ""Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery ", keyword is "drill"

Holes are made with a regular drill bit, then if you are hiding a screw, using a plug cutter (4 cutters at the rear of the box) cut a plug that you would use to insert on the drilled hole or if you are joining two pieces of wood, use a dowel or tenon cutter (the 4 cutters at the front of the box) and cut the tenon on the piece you are joining to the first (the mortise would be the hole made with the drill bit). The dowel/tenon cutter can also cut plugs, but the plug made with the plug cutter are slightly tapered (I think) and would get a better fit.

Reply to
f/256

No, I got that. They both cut about the same sort of hole, and the same size. I expected one would cut a small hole, and the other would cut a plug to fit it, but they don't. Or, at least I can't see how they do.

Reply to
toller

> It says "Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery and

It says: ""Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery ", keyword is "drill"

Holes are made with a regular drill bit, then if you are hiding a screw, using a plug cutter (4 cutters at the rear of the box) cut a plug that you would use to insert on the drilled hole or if you are joining two pieces of wood, use a dowel or tenon cutter (the 4 cutters at the front of the box) and cut the tenon on the piece you are joining to the first (the mortise would be the hole made with the drill bit). The dowel/tenon cutter can also cut plugs, but the plug made with the plug cutter are slightly tapered (I think) and would get a better fit.

Reply to
f/256

These sets cut plugs to fit into previously drilled holes. Drill a hole with your set of drill bits that match the plug size cut by these cutters.

Typically for a #10 sized screw and smaller a 3/8" diameter hole cut with a brad point or forstner bit work well. Then use the 3/8" plug cutter to cut a plug for that hole./

> It says "Drilling holes for the recess of screw heads and other joinery and

Reply to
Leon

Ok, look here:

that doesn't take you to the right page, the go to
, select Us, then Woodworking, then Drilling, then Dowel, Plug & Tenon Cutters, then Snug-Plug Cutters to see a picture that will give you a better idea. The graphic shows the difference between a regular plug cutter and a tapered plug cutter which should help you understand.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

What you say makes sense, but it doesn't agree with the description. They talk about 4 matched pairs; to me that implies that you use them together. thanks.

Reply to
toller

Matched (A) Plug and (B) Dowel Cutter Set

Nova

Fuller makes a nice set available thru Jamestown Distributors.

Supplied with tapered drills, c'sinks, depth collars and plug cutters.

The set I use handles #6 thru #12 flat head wood screws.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett