Making Planters

So SWMBO says to me, she says "I want you to make some flower planters". Naturally, she being SWMBO and all, I said "Sure honey". Let's see, I saw some on the NYW site. "How does something like this look, sweetie?". "Those would be nice", she replied.

I think to myself, "I don't need no stinking plans", and proceed to wing it. Hmmm, M&T joints in the corners should work, and some cross braces for the floor installed with M&T joints. This shouldn't be too tough.

Okay, I need to cut twenty two mortises for this thing. "How many planters do you want, dear?" "Five should be enough. Christopher Lowell says you should use odd numbers".

Hmmm, one hundred and ten mortises. Lay out each one, cut them with my router, square them up with a chisel. "Hey honey, when would you like these?". "I'd like to have (some kind of little blue flowers) in them so we can have them out front when your mom comes over for Thanksgiving" (We live in Tampa).

"Ummmm, it's going to take me a long time to make all these little square holes I have to make. But there is a machine you can buy that makes these holes and it would really speed up the process".

"Whatever you need, sweetie".

Ahhh, she's great. As long as I'm making something she wants, I can buy just about anything I want. A quick trip to WoodCraft, and four hours later my new Jet benchtop mortiser has cut all of the nice little holes. Life is good.

I didn't quite make the deadline, but two of them got built and painted and filled with dirt and flowers and put out front in time for mom to see them this afternoon.

Reply to
Ehvee8or

You suck! (Though my SWMBO would probably be equally agreeable if I were doing something she wanted. Problem is with the whole funding issue. Unless you got that mortising machine for $3... :)

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, I know that feeling. Luckily, however, my wife will be graduating from medical school in June. IF we can get her student loans paid off in 10 years like we want to, and IF I can keep her from buying a Taj Mahal to live in, then I can retire at about age 40. I just turned 29 a few weeks ago.

Truth be told, I'm looking forward to being a stay-at-home dad. A little housework, a little cooking, a little woodworking. Probably in that order.

I'm sure I have all of your sympathies...

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

My brother chose that route. He's pretty much built their new house. I don't know for sure, but the walls could be MT stud joints.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I'd love to be a house husband, or even just the secondary wage earner. Let SWMBO bust her ass to earn the big paycheck. :)

Reply to
Silvan