Made in USA brands

Page 3 of 3

We won't get into why a minimum wage should not exist (that'd be a whole new spirited thread....
Given that there is one, why would a person in need not work the minimum wage and take two jobs if necessary? Oh, is it because they can live off of welfare - the lazy way out?
Are you saying we need a system where illegals can advance? That is BS. They broke the law and the rule of law is important for society.
Never Enough Money wrote:

Wouldn't it be simpler to make it possible for illegals to get into the country legally as long as work was available that no one else would do? Let the beneficiaries (direct) of illegal labor spend some money sending recruiters to wherever these people come from, paying for safe transport, bringing them into clean and decent conditions...aw, shit, though, we can't do that. Price of green beans will go up.
Work two minimum wage jobs? I've known those who do it. It is rough, especially if they have kids to raise, but it can be done. What the hell. Put in 80 hours or more a week flipping burgers so your local Big Mac purveyor can clog some more arteries in the process of increasing the value of his investment.
You've got some good ideas there in the first paragraph.
Your second paragragh is incorrect: you're darn right you take as many jobs as needed to support the fruit of your loins. It is not my responsibility to support your sexual irresponsibility.
Someone observed recently "If you can't feed 'em don't breed em".
On 3 May 2005 18:19:15 -0700, "Never Enough Money"

Wasn't that called the "Bracero" (SP?) program about 60 years ago? It no longer exists.

The problem with that is that "work that no one else will do" is only part of the statement. The whole statement is work that no one else will do at the low wage I'm willing to pay. Like the excuse used in the IT industry for bringing in foreign workers and firing their American counterparts.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

As this thread has gone to hell and almost back again thought I'd add my 2 bobs worth regarding profits, and wages and benefits and all them things that make it no longer viable to make products at a reasonable price in the US and Aust. A while ago a magazine programme on telly had an article regarding just this and used a leather coat as an example. Now I'm working from memory, which aint what it used to be but the equation went something like this. 1 x leather jacket manufactured in Australia costing $75.00 to produce and whole selling at $200.00. Same leather jacket manufactured in China costing $25.00 to produce and whole selling at $200.00. Now, I may not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it seems to me that the only people benefiting from this are at the top of the pile. My rant for the month.:) have a good one John