Made in USA brands

Page 2 of 3  

Just bought a Milwaukee circ saw, made in Mexico...too early to tell on quality.
Just bought a Milwaukee vise, made in USA. Also a piece of shit. Never seen quality that bad in all my days. Taking it back this weekend.
Apparently this was the last one they made, too, because I can't find vises offered for sale anywhere on Milwaukee's website.
Must have been too embarassed after making this crap.
You just can't believe how bad this vise is.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I just had a problem with a Makita cordless drill. The reverse switch would no longer function. I sent it out to a factory authorized repair shop that is here in the states. They did repair it but now it will go forward when in reverse position and reverse when in the forward position. What does that say about the quality of the US worker??
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Bass-ackwards?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If a company can get a tool built in China to the same standards for half price then thats where they will shop. If the American worker cannot compete then who is at fault? As consumers, we all want the best for the least cost. Look at what the Japanese did to the automobile industry by giving consumers what they wanted at a price they were prepared to pay. There is a lesson there so learn from it rather than complain about it.
Such is life.
Oldun
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
So you work for 20 cents per hour?

compete
consumers
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What are the choices? 20 cents per hour or nothing?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The choice is buy as local as possible. The job your saving may (strike that) WILL be your own. Think of whatever it is that your employer manufactures. I don't care if it is widgets to rockets. There are any number of sub developed nations who can build it cheaper if YOU are willing to buy from them. Are you willing to ship your money offshore just to save $4.99 on that pair of pliers. Are you going to encourage the customers of the products YOU make to save a buck or two by buying the foreign version of whatever it is you do for a living...?
Just noticed your tag line, "Never Enough Money". If you ever want to do your part in turning that around buying the cheapest widget on the shelf isn't a real great start.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

I want to see any third world country print a daily newspaper, deliver it within three to four hours, and do it for less money.
If the newspaper could even be air freighted in time, the delivery costs would exceed the cost of printing here in the USA.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But they can do the layout from anyplace in the world that has electricity and perhaps a phone line or satellite connection.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Strangely enough, that seems to be a _major_ limiting factor in the outsourcing to India/elsewhere craze. According to a VC CEO who spoke earlier this week, finding a building with sufficient (power/water/sewer/transportation/comms) infrastructure has gotten to be a real problem. People can be anywhere, but you still have to have electricity, and you have to be able to support their activities. Tangible goods have to move in and out.
Rather makes you think about the level of investment it took to get the industrialized world up to speed, and the challenge of keeping it there. One of the issues raised (whether correctly or not) in the prices for thiings like oil and cement, was the investment in Chinese infrastructure in the past five years.
Competition in the marketplace exists at many levels.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Dremel, Ellis and Miller are also US made. Also made in the US: Shop-vac (according to what I found), Campbell Hausfeld, Tecumseh, S-K Tools, and a constantly-dwindling pile of others. I've been trying to get my hands on a good list of them for a while, but it seems like someone is trying to keep it all secret. All I can find is a bunch of BS from the AFL-CIO about how spiffy unions are when I try and find a source for US manufacturers.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Prometheus wrote:

Not only is "Shop-Vac" made in the USA, it says so on the box, unless there is a Town in China named USA. :) but it is exported to Good ol' OZ. I bought one just the other day from Bunnings for $98.99 AU. Thought it was a fair price. The shed hasn't looked so clean in years ;).
All the best John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:06:44 GMT, John B
There are several. There's definitely a "Sheffield", for exactly this reason.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Dingley wrote:

Mum and Dad often used to speak of an "England" in Japan that used to produce products as "made in England" just after the 2nd war. This was the period when you'd get a tin toy and upon investigation find that it was made from Baby Powder tins etc turned inside out and re-pressed. Recycling at it's very earliest :) John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just for a lark, I read the origins of what was on my bench a few minutes ago. Milwaukee jigsaw...Made in Germany. Milwaukee 1 3/4 HP router.. "assembled" in USA Milwaukee 2 1/4HP router .. "assembled" in USA Hitachi 12MV router made in Malaysia.
I think the "assembled" in USA is somewhat like some chocolate bars as of late: MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
Ya figgur a lawyer dreamt that one up?..<G> I think the whole world is going to pot....which MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I was looking at jigsaws the other day and it was fun to see where they all were made. Top of the line Bosch: Switzerland, second tier Bosch: USA, Milwaukee: Czech Republic, Hitachi: Ireland. I bought the Swiss made Bosch, not because of where it was made, but because I liked it best, mainly because it had the biggest base and I think that will pay off for woodworking. All things being equal, I'll buy American, but things are seldom equal. At Lowes the other day I paid more than twice as much for American made Channel Lock needle nose pliers over generic, because I wanted a tool that was precise and tough. The same day I bought an import Stanley tape measure over the old school American made one because I liked the way it didn't reel in as soon as I let go of the tape. I used to worry about it more, but then one day it occurred to me that none of those people in those factories were doing me any favors, nor were they likely to if they got the chance. I worked for the Japanese for a couple of years. Very polite, soft spoken and modest executives. Can't say the same for very many of the American ones I have known. They can sink or swim on their own merits as far as I'm concerned. But really the precarious state of American manufacturing can all be blamed on our gutless politicians more than anything else. We need our factories to be regulated for pollution, fair business practices and safety, yet they have to compete with countries like China which don't do anything of the kind. Goods that are made in conditions that would be unacceptable here should either not be imported or heavily tariffed. Neither is happening. Blame the politicians. That's where it all begins and ends.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Politicians are only a small part of the problem. Include the greed of Unions, the crimes of CEOs, the failure of the educational system, the decay of the work ethic, child labor laws that prevent 14 year olds from find a summer job so that Nintendo is the only alternative, and hubris.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Never Enough Money says...

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you will have to pardon me if I roll my eyes when you say politicians are only a small part of the problem. Most industrial nations are more unionized than the US, and union membership, power and influence has been on a steady decline for a while now. Don't tell me you haven't noticed the intimate connection between unions and politicians. Our educational system is government run--politicians again. Your assessment of the American work ethic isn't born out by some easily verifiable facts. We have the highest productivity and the highest GDP/capita in the world. The honesty of our greedy, callous CEO's, as hard as it may be to believe, compares favorably to most other nations. I heard more than one financial analyst joke that the way Enron cooked their books was the rule not the exception in the far east.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You imply that unions are a smaller influence in the US and are on the decline. Then you say that the US ranks high in productivity and GDP. Could there be a connection: weaker unions more productivity?
A lot of the productivity gains are due to the penetration of better technology, not better workers.
Our education system is 90% run by teacher's unions and 10% run by government. The government asically just sends money. Then when the government and the citizenry demand some accountability (as the No Child Left behind program tries to introduce), the teachers sabotage it instead of embracing it. In fact, the whole reason it was introduce is because the teaching establishment has failed misreably and they think only they can fix it.
Regarding our work ethic -- I keep hearing that the illegal immigrants come here to do work Americans won't do. Is that work ethic?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Never Enough Money wrote:

immigrants
For some. Do you do, or want to do, stoop labor for barely over minimum wage? If you have never done that kind of labor, you don't know what you're missing (fortunately). Or would you like to work as a maid, putting in a dozen hours a day six or more days a week? People take those kinds of jobs, normally, only in the hope they can advance from them. The current illegal immigrant set up locks the illegals into that kind of work with little or no chance at advance. That needs changing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.