Lumber Liquidators?

I am looking at installing hardwood floors. Has anyone used lumber liquidators? I see they have an engineered flooring which is made from real wood. Has anyone tried this? I have looked at Pergo, I like it, but I want flooring which has the look and feel of real wood.

Thanks

Reply to
PPH

I have not.

All "engeneered" flooring is make from real wood. You may be thinking of laminate flooring such as "Pergo".

Engeneered flooring is normally make up of 3 or more alternating plys of wood. This flooring is make much like plywood and is more dimensionally stable when compared to standard wood flooring.

I have engeneered maple flooring in my master bath room.

and feel of real wood.

All flooring like Pergo is laminate flooring, very similar to Formica plastic laminate.

If you want a true wood feel, you need to stick with real wood floring or real wood "engeneered" flooring.

If you want a TOUGH floor that is not likey to dent or scratch, you should go with the laminate flooring like Pergo.

Reply to
Leon

Speaking of Lumber Liquidators --- Anybody every order up one of their hardwood bundles ?

For $99 you get "over 300 bf" of "random -- mostly exotics" -- for $0.30 a bf I am figuring it might be worth the chance ?

reports good / bad ?

Reply to
eric

Reply to
jo4hn

Ah, Pergo. MDF, photography, and poly, all in one package! Marketing at its finest...

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

Reply to
BRuce

We used it in a family room that the previous owner had converted from a garage. Pergo was cheaper than raising the floor, and the most attractive option that would work over concrete at the time. Presumably, when it's time to replace it, something better will be available.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Yes. Very satisfied.

Uh, then why don't you use REAL WOOD?

Reply to
Sam Shank

I've not tried their brands, but I've used Mannington. Very nice stuff when done. Unlike the laminates, it is real wood and looks like real wood with all the variation of grain and color.

I put in 450 sq. ft, but I'm going to do more in the future. What I did was over a concrete slab so regular hardwood is not an option. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

With this flooring, does it stand up to use? I will be putting this in our kitchen, we have two kids and a dog. I want sonething which will stand up to the wear and tear. Aso, it this stuff able to be refinished?

Reply to
PPH

For a number of reasons.

1) I have a dishwasher which will not allow me to raise the floow 3/4". 2) I want something which will resist wear and tear. 3) I like the ease of installation
Reply to
PPH

Yes, they have tough finishes. Can vary by brand

Yes, you have to use a special sander, not the heavy model used for standard flooring as only a thin section of the good wood exists. Check a few brands of flooring. I used

Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes in Ft Lauderdale Florida. They are the real deal. Real 3/4 inch solid Brazilian Cherry for $3.99/sqft(not including installation) which costs about $15/sqft at Home Depot Expo center. I think one of the manufactures was Bella wood. Their stuff is not defective or anything it's just that they have different inventory all the time and maybe not the sq footage you may need.

You cannot get real feel of wood with laminate. My inlaws have engineered wood and the engineered wood is a better feel than my laminate. The problem with engineered wood is that it is a thin layer of real wood that you can probably only sand once but how many people really sand more than once. Installing engineered wood is the same as laminate so it's an easy DIY unlike solid wood which needs a 3/4 inch plywood subfloor over concrete.

good luck.

Reply to
Noel