Lots of wood going up in Smoke in Washington

think this is one of the worst fire years I can remember in Washington. Two months ago was cutting up logs that had been down over a year. I would grab them with the excavator and water would squirt out. Now they are bone dry. I'm deep in the woods so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Take care Mike.

Been living in a forest with files running up the hill I lived on. I was at work and my beloved was at home. Frantic pack-up of what you need to save and take with you.

Advise: Take a suitcase or duffel or trunk - whatever. Start filling it with the precious things in your life. Wrap to keep safe if needed.

E.g. methodological now and not in a mad rush after the Sheriff bangs on the door giving you 2 minutes. That is the time you need to dress and get your wallet and cards and cash... You might be back, never go or out for a few days or the rest of your life.

We had both fire and earthquake watch. Some things were last minute take off the wall.

Mart>

> I think this is one of the worst fire years I can remember in

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

We had a lot of smoke from CA fires again today. I'm certainly glad they're not closer.

What really irks me is that so many treehuggers are filing lawsuits to "save the trees" only to watch all of 'em burn down in forest fires. Why can't we cut some of them down so we'd have money while we watch the forest burn?

-- I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. -- Anna Quindlen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>>> I think this is one of the worst fire years I can remember in

I wonder what the tree huggers had to say about all the trees that were cut down so that the Shuttle could be paraded around L.A.

Reply to
Leon

============================ Since they are replanting 2:1 and many of the trees being removed were already scheduled for removal, not much.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We get much worse where I live. Three years ago we had a firestorm in the forests where I live. It got hairy. I've posted a link to our fire brigade website that offers a few good bushfire survival tips.

this documentary in full to see what it was like. It gets interesting after part 1.

Parko

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:46:15 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

This evening's 11:00 news posted a local newscaster's comments about the trees being cut down. Apparently, there are a number of people complaining about it.

Even with the 2:1 replacement of trees, people were upset because those replacement trees take time to grow.

Reply to
Dave

----------------------------------------------------------- Without question the time req'd to grow the new trees is the price this generation pays for the next generation.

What hasn't gotten a lot of press is the fact that many of the trees being removed have been scheduled for removal because of incompatibility in the urban environment. (Roots damaging sidewalks and street pavements, internal rotting of trunks, etc)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett