looking for a decent plywood for a crawlspace "floor"

Page 3 of 4
says...

That's why you toss in some silica gel.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 21:45:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"

You'll have to refresh it periodically. Unless it's *wet*, it's better to leave it well ventilated, rather than even try to make it air tight (it won't be).
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 6:41:38 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

rote:

, but

rs on

ose

eft.

about

use

10

t,

re

is

an't

EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We al ways have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move them upstairs in advance if i need to.

What do you mean it won't be? Are you saying that no container is truly ai r tight and air will always get in?
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:38:32 -0700 (PDT), Fredd Wright

Google "hermetic seal". It's exceedingly difficult, particularly for a large container.

How DO they keep gasoline and diesel fuel in those drums? And how DO they keep things like paint sealed in 5 gallon pails???
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:23:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...and water has *never* found its way into gasoline.

Then you have another problem: the papers or whatever is in the container can't breath and release moisture. If you put a moisture absorbant in there, it'll draw too much moisture out so now the things will be excessivley dry.
So Fredd, just be aware that floating containers tip and be preparred to take them out when the hurricane hits. If you think you'll be busy with other things, just don't store anything you can't afford to lose in there.
Puckdropper

.

OK, first i figured out the whole cut and paste thing. Second, no i'm not storing stuff in jars. Mainly junk that's cluttering up the rest of the ho use. I learned my lesson during Hurricane Irene when i lost my original bo xed Nintendo entertainment system. The stuff i'm talking about are things that i don't want to get wet but i could potentially save if they did.
I'm liking the idea of the pavers for the floor and, for containers, i'm th inking what would be ideal would be plastic sealed containers that are a li ttle larger at the bottom than at the top so as to prevent tipping in a fl ood. Not sure if those will be easy to find, though.
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 8:06:44 AM UTC-4, Fredd Wright wrote:

re.

t storing stuff in jars. Mainly junk that's cluttering up the rest of the house. I learned my lesson during Hurricane Irene when i lost my original boxed Nintendo entertainment system. The stuff i'm talking about are thing s that i don't want to get wet but i could potentially save if they did.

thinking what would be ideal would be plastic sealed containers that are a little larger at the bottom than at the top so as to prevent tipping in a flood. Not sure if those will be easy to find, though.
Heavier at the bottom, not larger dimensionally (that will work against you )...the lower the center of gravity, the better
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 8:06:44 AM UTC-4, Fredd Wright wrote:

...snip...

thinking what would be ideal would be plastic sealed containers that are a little larger at the bottom than at the top so as to prevent tipping in a flood. Not sure if those will be easy to find, though.
Purchase a bunch of these and fill them enough that you are comfortable that they won't float. Place them at the bottom of your containers.
http://www.dinobags.com/usr/products/small-sandbags/small-sandbag-empty.jpg
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 9:01:59 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

m thinking what would be ideal would be plastic sealed containers that are a little larger at the bottom than at the top so as to prevent tipping in a flood. Not sure if those will be easy to find, though.

pg
On second thought, just buy extra pavers and place *them* at the bottom of your containers.
says...

Why will you have to refresh it periodically? Once it absorbs all the moisture in the container condensation won't be an issue.

What, a jar with a screw cap won't be air tight? You must be getting some pretty crappy jars.
Now I predict that you are going to come back with some crap about "not talking about jars". Well Earth to KRW we were talking about "airtight containers" and jars most assuredly are "containers".
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 6:36:08 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

om

wrote:

me, but

oors on

those

left.

he

k about

le

house

e 10

it,

here

no

rs is

the

can't

nd

. EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We always have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move th em upstairs in advance if i need to.

Do you really think the OP wants to cover the floor of a fairly large crawl space in order to store jars?
So, no, we aren't talking about jars *in this case.*
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 04:14:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

How about barrels, vac-pacs, and marine storage boxes?

Proof that any discussion can and will take a tanget the OP had not intended.
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:25:42 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

om

m.com

.ca wrote:

home, but

goes

r doors on

gh those

the left.

The

back about

angle

he house

the 10

ose it,

e where

so no

in

iners is

ss the

you can't

y and

in. EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We always have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move them upstairs in advance if i need to.

t,

awl space in order

Yep...I believe that those are more on topic for this discussion.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:09:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sigh. A 1 line response in a 111 line message!
It appears that some of the posters here have never heard of cut and paste. No, it's not required, but it sure is more polite.
In my newsreader, all I have to do is mouse over the part I want in my response and click reply. Just as in the 3 lines above. Simple to do.
carrying a cross.
On 4/28/2016 12:40 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Thank you!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Didn't know that. Works in SM also.
--
GW Ross

The only thing more accurate than

Do try to keep the attribution lines, however.