Long threaded insert

My brother-in-law wants to be able to attach plywood to the face of window trim at his place at the coast in the case of a hurricane. He said he heard of some sort of insert that you screwed through the trim and into the 2x4's underneath. The insert also has internal threads. Has anyone heard of such a critter.
Preston
You got it, they're called threaded inserts. Coarse (wood screw) threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside with a screwdriver slot in one end to install them. My local Ace hardware has them. Ray

I've never seen threaded inserts that were very long, but I'd like to. If you find them, please let us know where you got them.
Thanks.
Kevin
--
=====
"Preston Andreas" < snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
Drill THRU the frame to expose the 2x4 behind, put the threaded insert into the 2x4. Use long enough bolts to fully thread into the insert
Maybe find plastic plugs to fill the holes when not in the hurricane season
Other option would be one of the threaded rod connectors - they are usually signifcantly LONGER than the threaded inserts, drill hole, epoxy in place??
John
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 07:55:02 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 03:09:42 GMT, "Preston Andreas"

McMaster-Carr has 3/8" threaded inserts which at 1 3/8" long. Go to www.mcmaster.com and enter the part number 90192A132
I live outside of New Orleans (which is definitely hurricane territory) and the slickest thing I have found for holding plywood onto the windows are "pylox" clips. I got two bags at the Borg a couple of years ago, and when combined with precut pieces of 3/8" plywood, I can cover the windows in under an hour.
Good luck. ==========================================================================Chris
snipped-for-privacy@movingpart.com says...

Never heard of this product, so did a little searching.
Actual name is "plylox".
Info here:
http://www.plylox.com /
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
If he can live with external threads he could do what a buddy of mine in FL did. He found some 1/4 x 3 hanger bolts and installed them around his windows. He says he can now have the place secured in under a 1/2 hour.
Art