Long threaded insert

My brother-in-law wants to be able to attach plywood to the face of window trim at his place at the coast in the case of a hurricane. He said he heard of some sort of insert that you screwed through the trim and into the 2x4's underneath. The insert also has internal threads. Has anyone heard of such a critter.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

You got it, they're called threaded inserts. Coarse (wood screw) threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside with a screwdriver slot in one end to install them. My local Ace hardware has them. Ray

Reply to
rj

I've never seen threaded inserts that were very long, but I'd like to. If you find them, please let us know where you got them.

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

McMaster-Carr has 3/8" threaded inserts which at 1 3/8" long. Go to

and enter the part number 90192A132

I live outside of New Orleans (which is definitely hurricane territory) and the slickest thing I have found for holding plywood onto the windows are "pylox" clips. I got two bags at the Borg a couple of years ago, and when combined with precut pieces of 3/8" plywood, I can cover the windows in under an hour.

Good luck. =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Drill THRU the frame to expose the 2x4 behind, put the threaded insert into the 2x4. Use long enough bolts to fully thread into the insert

Maybe find plastic plugs to fill the holes when not in the hurricane season

Other option would be one of the threaded rod connectors - they are usually signifcantly LONGER than the threaded inserts, drill hole, epoxy in place??

John

Reply to
John

Never heard of this product, so did a little searching.

Actual name is "plylox".

Info here:

Mark

If he can live with external threads he could do what a buddy of mine in FL did. He found some 1/4 x 3 hanger bolts and installed them around his windows. He says he can now have the place secured in under a 1/2 hour.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher