linoleum on wood

pondering removal of some linoleum over wood
not sure what kind of damage the wood will suffer but i suspect that there will be some tear out in those place where the glue adheres more to the linoleum than to the wood
resigning that the wood may be a total loss
is there some magic solvent out there that will soak through the linoleum and allow it to be peeled up without tearing out the wood floor with it

I expect that you won't have a problem damaging the wood, the problem will be getting the residual adhesive off the wood.
What do you intend to put back?
Might be able to heat the linoleum and the glue lets go. I have some on my old desk that dried out (xxx-rats) and now needs replacing. Cloth backing into glue. My old Ever-Last Navy desk.
Martin
On 8/20/2016 12:58 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 8:37:29 PM UTC-7, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Alas, the last sources for linoleum dried up years ago (it had asbestos, among other ingredients); I'm not aware of any similarly good writing/drawing surface available nowadays. Masonite/hardboard is close, but won't take a coffee spill.
wood has grain laminates/glass/metal are too hard vinyl is too soft

Would sealing the Masonite help?
Puckdropper
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Armstrong seems to be laboring under the misconception that they are producing Linoleum in a variety of styles and colors.
Now obtaining it may be more difficult--they seem to be going the "only available to authorized installers" route.
If a swiss knock-off will do, you might try Marmoleum, which you can obtain online <http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Flooring- Marmoleum> You can also get linoleum desk pads <http://prestigeofficeaccessories.com/linoleum_desk_pads-pinfo/ Blick Art Materials will sell you anything from a bag of 2x3 inch pieces to a 90 foot x 36 inch roll but the choice of colors is limited.

??
Linoleum is alive and well, available from various manufacturers. It is made from linseed oil and any of various fillers such as wood flour, cork dust, calcium carbonate, etc. Some makers may have included some asbestos for its fibrous nature but it wasn't a necessity,
http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/products/linoleum
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 22:37:04 -0500

never thought of this
will give it a try
have a good heat gun
Fresh cat urine has bond breaking properties for adhesives used with linoleum...heat guns, patience and a good sharp scraper work well also...
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 1:59:14 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

In jest I trust...