Lightening the dark wood

I'm trying to come up with the right finish for some projects I'm working on, but want to know how to get the finish I desire. I'm using red oak and golden oak stain. The light wood is coming out just about right, but the dark wood is darker than I would like. How can I get the same color in the light wood, but lighter in the dark wood? Should I mix in some natural color stain or perhaps something else?
TIA, Shawn (reply to newsgroup)
peroxide bleach (sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide) to lighten the dark wood BEFORE staining...
dave
Shawn wrote:

From what I've read, I don't want the dark wood to be lightened so that it matches the light wood, just less contrast between the two. Wouldn't peroxide bleach take out all the dark?
Shawn
Bay Area Dave wrote:

then try a dye stain instead of a pigment stain. Or use a toner
dave
Shawn wrote:

Shawn wrote:

By your description I'd guess you're using a pigmented stain such as Minwax. With pigmented stains the pigment get into the grain. I suggest trying an aniline dye such as: http://www3.woodcraft.com/Finishing/woodworking/1718.htm
(as always, experiment on scrap first).