Lew Hodgett

Casper wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've been thinking about putting together a list of online sites that should be notified if I get hit by a bus or something. It would be stored with any kind of final arrangement documents (wills and the like).

I don't even know if my family could figure out how to post to Usenet, let alone have any access to my computer systems.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Good point. My wife cannot even get on my main computer. My daughter does know where m y list of passwords is for web sites. Amazing how many I've accumulated over the years with bank, credit cards, utilities, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I use Roboform for my passwords and print a hard copy every so often to keep in the safe.

Reply to
Leon

Write a drop dead batch file.

Tell the family if you croak to turn on the computer and just hit enter on that batch file, and include the deletion of things you don't want nosy types to see, that might take things wrong.

Reply to
OFWW

What is the batch file supposed to do?

Reply to
Bill

Whatever you tell it to do, run other small programs like one that opens your news reader, starts a new topic in each ng you want, write a message, post it, quit. Goto another program, transfer all your funds over to whoever's account, return, delete a list of files and so on down the line.

Sometimes a drop dead file can be programmed to initialize with a preprogrammed key stroke sequence to wipe a disk (hard disk) clean, hackers used to do it as the feds broke into their apartments or whatever.

It would take a little time to write, then compile to run as an *.exe, but it is totally doable.

Reply to
OFWW

Yes, it sounds like a lot of fun to maintain and test too. By the way a batch file is almost by definition not an .exe.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

The maintain part is what worries me. With the ways websites change (and I've done it myself to prevent automated stuff), keeping the batch file alive would be a constant task. It's probably more efficient to put together a notification list and store it with other important documents so then your loved ones can handle notifications.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I recently tested a batch file that was written to wipe my disk clean. The test was, unfortunately, a resounding success.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Congratulations.. That sucks!

Reply to