Lew Hodgett

Page 1 of 2
Wondering what happened to him, I found this
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?pid 7958606
HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February 20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double head sail ketch. - See more at: http://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?pid 7958606#sthash.w4yn0VwL.dpuf

Well, damn.
On 4/7/2016 12:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

RIP Lew!
Leon wrote:

Lew was the first friend I met on this newsgroup. Both being engineers from about the same time period, Lew and my dad shared a few things in common. I know that Lew will not soon be forgotten here.
Peace, Bill
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I liked Lew and appreciated the fact that he too was a sailor here in this sea of landlubbers.
On 4/7/2016 1:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks, I had searched a while back.
RIP Lew.
--
Jeff

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks Edwin. Too bad, but it does happen to all of us at some point.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

May he be at the helm of a boat that needs no maintaining.

Ah, I suspected as much. I'd looked for an obit back around December when he hadn't posted for a while.
RIP.
John
Ahh ... sad news. As a former sailor, I always appreciated Lew's application of marine tech to woodworking. RIP.
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 1:13:21 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In his memory, I'm going to sprinkle some West Systems 406 filler in a nearby lake.
(Just a tiny bit)
On 4/7/2016 12:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks for finding it. I was just thinking about doing the same search.
Will miss, Lew. But, he's probably keeping tabs on gas prices wherever he is.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/7/2016 10:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

RIP Lew.
says...

Thanks for finding that, Ed. He had a pretty good run.
Pity he didn't live to see the gas prices crash though.
Well, that explains why I haven't heard anything for a while.
A few years ago when I was going through a tough time with one of my folks Lew reached out to me personally and made it a point to keep in touch via email.
Crusty as he was sometimes, he had a really great side to him. We fell out of close touch when things got back on track, and I when I quit the rec for a while I lost track of him.
I remember him as a pretty good guy, a caring guy, and one that really liked his epoxy.
Robert

My Lew story.
I had installed some software and got it up and running. It was mentioned on the rec. Lew installed it too, but he could not get it up and running and emailed me for some advice. I had no idea. But I gamely made suggestion after suggestion. Did you try this? Did you try that? About suggestion 4 or 5, we hit it. It had something to do with a setting in the software. He was jubilant and thanked me profusely.
He would send me little "thank you notes" of interesting and humorous stories for awhile afterwards. When you did Lew a favor, he made sure you knew that he appreciated it.
Rest in Peace Lew. I am sure that gas prices are very reasonable where you are now. ;-)
On 4/8/2016 2:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Yep, advertised that boat he was building on my website for a while, with a link and photos he could use to point prospective buyers to.
Never was able to use up all that karma with him from that one little bit of favor, despite a couple of set to's with him over his California liberal ways ... :)
And his dedication to his Mom in her later years was notable. That right there tells you the real measure of a man.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/8/2016 2:58 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I wonder if the price crash is what did him in.
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 12:13:21 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That is sad news. I certainly benefited from Lew's advice, on several occasions.
RIP Lew.
Sonny

I was away for most of April and missed this sad news. Very sorry to hear of his passing. I didn't know Lew personally but enjoyed his postings here. Sad truth is as we get older we read the obits more.