leg tapering

Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for the leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade. Patt

Reply to
Patt

I find it best not to use damn wood. You are very lucky that all it does is move!

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
marc rosen

I have to wonder if there is a problem with your blade or fence. I have a jig that I tapered a pencil post bed with. I use a 20 tooth rip blade with it. The Forrest blade I have uses too much horsepower for heavy ripping. I was ripping 3" stock with a 1 1/2 hp saw. I now rip on a bandsaw.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Are you using the hinged kind like Norm uses? I never even tried one they look too unstable.

I use one like this that rides in my miter slot.

RayV

Patt wrote: > Can someone offer some advice on using a jig to cut tapers on legs on a > table saw. I made a jig I saw in a book but the damn wood being cut for the > leg just moves all over the place and binds in the blade.

I made one following the NYW proportions after my Craftsman unit broke and it works quite well.

Not sure I understand your problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How are you holding the wood? It should rest against the jig, there should be a "foot" at the bottom that acts as a stop, and you should be holding the wood to be cut at the same time you use the jig against the fence.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ahhhhh! When you say "holding" against the fence you mean with a 'push stick' or 'push block' right?

I use a commercial variety of the tapering jig that Norm uses

and it works fine, but I almost always push the wood against the fence with my left hand using a push stick as I feed the jig through with my right hand.

Reply to
Stoutman

Bandsaw and plane or jointer reduces the guesswork on double tapers and provides greater safety anyway.

Y'think he's trying to feed in the wrong direction, cutting up taper rather than down?

Reply to
George

Please allow me to suggest that your problem would go away if the damn wood were held down with a toggle clamp or otherwise confined so it can't move. Duh.

Reply to
dadiOH

I hope you mean you push the wood against the *jig*, and push the jig against the fence...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, That's what I mean, but I use a push stick, so I don't endanger my digits.

Reply to
Stoutman

I cut a lot of tapered legs and finally settled on one similar to the one in Fine Wood Working magazines 2005 "Power Tools" issue.

Scroll down to in the photographs at "Taper Jig" on the page below:

should be able to reproduce it just from the photos.

Reply to
Swingman

opinion, these are the way to go. Safe, accurate, and very quick and easy to make up.

The same jig can easily do one to all sided tapers.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
Pat Barber