leg grain orientation....semantics?

Hiya, Working on my dresser project and just had a quick question. I couldn't find 12/4 cherry so I had to glue up 8/4 blanks into the legs and then mill to size. I figure I'll put the face grain facing forward on the front legs but was wondering if there's a "standard" for what to do in the back? I was thinking of having the face grain face outward or should I have it facing the same way as the fronts? I'm putting floating panels into the legs so only about 1/2" or so will actually be exposed for view. I'm pretty sure I'll just orient the face grain out on the rear legs but thought I'd ask to make sure I'm not making a huge faux paux. Cheers, cc
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:29:03 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

Well I don't know what the "right" answer is, but I orient them so that whatever side of the piece you are looking at the legs have the same grain. So I would put the face grain forward so that the sides match.
-Leuf

I'm glad I asked. That makes more sense. Cheers, cc

This is a little late since you already glued the blanks up, but I would mitre four pieces so there was "face" grain on all four sides.
By the way, this was how mission furniture was usually made since it allows for ray-fleck figure on all four faces, something that Mom Nature couldn't pull off by herself.
Or, veneer two faces, also done to get the "right" figure on four faces.
Joe

Yeah I had originally pondered doing that but decided against it. I have never had good luck with gluing up long mitres like that. I seem to end up with gaps etc..... Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers, cc

It is common to cut a couple of veneers off of the nice face and glue them onto the sides of the legs to hide the side grain.
One recommendation is to cut legs out rift grain boards - with the grain angle at 45 deg to the faces. This gives a symmetric grain pattern on all faces. It's also structurally sound if the legs have a curve - which may or may not be a consideration for your dresser project...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

One mystery to me is why couldn't you find 12/4 cherry? Groff and Groff, Hearne Hardwoods (both in Pennsylvania) and I'm sure most hardwood lumberyards could have shipped a stick quite easily. I have cherry shipped in regularly. It's easy and usually no more expensive than trying to find good wood at the yards near me . . .
Rick

Try buying hardwoods in NM, locally that is. I wasn't about to ship in a couple chunks of 12/4 cherry. Our selection here is limited to say the least.