Lee Valley duct tape: Red Green joke?

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:26:40 -0500, Silvan

they never said nude teen *what*......

LV's catalogs most always have a humorous line or two ... you gotta pay attention, though.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Not a Red Green joke or original idea for that matter. It's just common sense. I've always carried duct tape on any trip in the bush. Essential for any accident or temporary repair. While I have not personally used it to repair a holed canoe, not ever having holed a canoe, I do know people who have. But I have used it on tents, tent poles, tarps, to fix a backpack belt, shoes, etc.
--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I usually carry something slippery, not sticky, when I'm making a trip in the bush.
Silvan wrote:

Yer on a roll tonite! MPT Maryland Public Television) carries Red Green, March 2 at 9PM is the next show.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
_firstna...@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us wrote:

Whenever I go out in a canoe I take a roll of duct tape along to patch any holes that 'appear' in the canoe while out and about. Uncle Red didn't just make that up.
--

FF

Correct, has nothing to do with the RG show. Real duct tape or real gaffer tape is often used to patch canoes during river trips.

I was on a canoe trip in Grade 6 (a LONG time ago) and we had to make do with white bandage tape and the grease from the canned meat when we tore the canvas on one canoe. Oh yeah, tape, grease and bailing...
Duct tape would have been a blessing.
On 19 Jan 2005 15:50:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Ayup. A buddy and I turned his 17' Grumman aluminum canoe into a flattened banana shape in a rapid called "the Silos" on the New River in WV back in the 70's. Ripped a 10 inch gash below the water line and flattened the bow to the point I couldn't get my legs under the front seat anymore. We were some 15 miles to the takeout point. No duct tape. We shot the remaining 20+ rapids to the takeout leaning very heavily to the right to try to keep the rip out of the water.
We drove back to Athens, down to the middle school playground, unloaded it from the VW bug he used as a transport vehicle and stuck the damaged end into the playground sandpile. Judicious use of an 8 pound sledge on a hunk of firewood (obligatory wood reference to keep this on topic) pounded it eventually back into a canoe shape. We had the sense to drill holes at each end of the rip before starting this beating and pounding. You should have seen some of the looks we got from the passers-by. I guess it is not every day you see a couple of scroungy-looking college kids drinking beer on a school playground while seemingly taking turns trying to drive a chunk of firewood through the bottom of a canoe.
Anyway, we got the whole shebang back into canoe shape and slapped a hunk of duct tape on it. My friend sold it later that year when he upgraded to a Mad River canoe. The guy who bought the Grumman evidently graduated in a year or so and moved west. Years later my friend was visiting some other buddys in Bozeman Montana. As they stood talking on the street, here came a Grumman canoe down the road with an old Ohio registration sticker on it, and a very faded chunk of duct tape in the same area we had patched.
On 19 Jan 2005 15:50:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:
| |_firstna...@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us wrote: |> In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape. |> I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in there: "for |> patching a holed canoe". You remember, when Red Green and his|buddies |> wanted to go out on the lake, and discovered that the canoe hadn't |> been stored behind the back stop at the gun range, instead it was the |> back stop!| |Whenever I go out in a canoe I take a roll of duct tape along |to patch any holes that 'appear' in the canoe while out and |about. Uncle Red didn't just make that up.
Whenever I tow my symbol of fine American craftsmanship, my POS Mallard by Fleetwood travel trailer, I take several rolls along.
Near the end (fortunately) of my last trip in this horrid thing, I needed several rolls to secure a piece of aluminum siding that peeled off and wrapped around the awning upright much like a banana peel.
The tape worked much better than the overdriven narrow-crown staples that these fools use to "secure" thin aluminum siding against hurricane velocity winds.
What Robin needs to stock too is a solvent that will remove the adhesive while leaving the paint alone.
On 2005/1/19 1:46 PM, "_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us"

not sure that this is a reference to that particular one. I have been one plenty of canoe trips where we took duct tape for emergency repairs , and one where we really needed it.
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess. Joe
_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us wrote:

The house I bought came with forced air heating, and I'm noticing with amusement that all of the duct tape the previous owner used to patch it with is drying out and coming off. I'll be replacing it with aluminum tape pretty soon. Maybe in the spring. In the meantime my workshop is nice and warm. :)
- Owen -
On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 5:06 am, Owen Lawrence scribbled:

everything except ducts.
--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is

Original purpose was close to the canoe patch, IIRC. US Navy liked it because it would seal even when wet.
When those crummy headblock straps they sell (dearly) for backboards get lost or too bloody to consider using, I use duct tape to secure a patient's head. Slow peel doesn't even pull hair too badly.

Now's your chance to number each piece, remove them, reassemble them on the river, and make yourself a jumbo raft with reclining chair!
I saw that episode, and I kept thinking, "you know, this might work!"

This is true. Even Mike Holmes ( Holmes on Homes) says this often enough in his program.
When I learned that I replaced all the duct tape holding my dryer ductwork together with the necessary metal tape.
Didn't catch the whole thread here- forgive me if I am a bit off topic-
The guy that put my furnace in, at the old house, also did a good bit of duct work. As he was cleaning up, he took great pains to show me how his joints were so tight he didn't need duct tape. Never used a bit of it. He did, however, seal some seams with RTV silicone.
-Dan V.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:31:17 -0500, Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote:

It is nice to see a person who takes great pride in his work. :-)

Stop me if I've told about this incident here before. Two years ago, I had occasion to take a plane trip to Reno on United. During the refreshment break the attendents beverage cart banged into the seat across the aisle from me and tore off a piece of plastic molding and it was left sticking out into the passageway ready to snag the next passenger. I spoke to the next flight attendent that passed and remarked to her, "you need some of that duct tape you all use on the wings to hold that piece of molding back out of the way." This was a few weeks after that national news story http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1819179/detail.html had aired. Anyway the indignant attendent said "we DON"T use duct tape on our planes wings! but I will have to check with the captain about using that roll of duct tape we have back there. We are only to use that tape to restrain passengers." Less than 10 minutes later she came by with the tape and fixed the snag(more-or-less) and remarked, "the captain gave me the okay to use the tape."
Larry