Lee Valley duct tape: Red Green joke?

Page 1 of 3
In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape. I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in there: "for patching a holed canoe". You remember, when Red Green and his buddies wanted to go out on the lake, and discovered that the canoe hadn't been stored behind the back stop at the gun range, instead it was the back stop! So it required some duct tape (the handyman's best friend) to repair the holes in it. Furthermore, they were out of duct tape (this is where it gets scary). And then, the last roll of emergency duct tape (stored in one of these fire-alarm style boxes with a glas front) turns out to have hardened to dust, at which point panic ensues.
Actually, I'm not even sure that this is a deliberate Red Green joke on LEe Valley's part; it might be a coincidence.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should atleast find you handy. And remember to keep your stick on the ice.
--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).

Red Green's Possum Lodge Man's Prayer:
I am a Man....But I can change.....If I have to....I guess
http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is he talking about..' -Brian

We have television, don't you?

I'm still wondering what being a Yankee means in this context, and how that would change knowing about Red Green?
Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

I ain't no damn Yankee, but I was still wondering what the hell the OP was talking about. After looking at the link, I still am, really. It doesn't really tell much about what I presume to be a TV show. About all I could glean at a glance is that the CBC has a hand in whatever this is. Whatever the CBC is. (OK, I know what the CBC is, but you can't expect most Americans to get that reference.)
On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 1:17 am, Silvan scribbled:

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the Gulf of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee. (North of the Rio Grande and South of the 49th parallel for those who are further west.)

You need to waste less time reorganizing your shop and, instead, spend it more constructively watching the boob tube.
Keep your stick on the ice!
--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message ...

Apples and crabapples ... note carefully Michael's use of the all important adjective.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Ah! So he's a Yankee, not a damn Yankee. I get it now.
--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Nope. To everyone south of the Rio Grande, I'm a gringo.

Feh. Even if I wanted to watch the idiot light, I don't own the remote control. It's always tuned to something stupid. Some lame ass Japanese cartoon where the Glimofipowkinatux is going to be eaten by the Glomo Yum Yum Hello Kitty Monster, or else some chick flick on the femi-nazi network where some wimminz is conspiring to separate her husband/boyfriend from his penis with a butcher knife and/or hatchet. (Upon hearing which SWMBO just uttered "Whee HAW!" and waved her hand in the air threateningly. Oh shit.)
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:38:04 -0500, Silvan

only near the border with mexico. further south and all US citizens are Yankees....
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

I've been called a gringo by people from Argentina, Colombia, Honduras, Guatemala, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Spain. No, you're mistaken. :)

Only if your skin is the color of a white chicken skin!
f/256 wrote:

Like I said, soy un gringo.
Silvan wrote:

Most of the shows are better TV than "Teen Nudes on Ice." The early years especially had a very biting humor. During a recent "Best Of" as part of their 11-month "Friends of PBS 'Friend Raising'" event PBS aired some very early Red Green episodes. I watched in horror as Red attempted to cut a piece of ply on a tablesaw without a fence. He didn't get hurt because (IIRC) he was feeding from the backside.
I've only seen a few early shows. My impression is the early shows had "Knife in the Ribs" satirical humor. The later seasons settled down to "Men are stupid but we're great with duct tape" humor but still worth watching.
-- Mark
Silvan wrote:

Any who <ever> watch a PBS station certainly should...
Check out your local PBS affiliate...most (at least out of major metro areas, I don't know about NYC-type places that consider themselves "cultured" :) ) have been airing Red Green for the last few years...
To my taste, parts of his schtick are pretty good, others are pretty lame, but each will have their own opinion...

was
doesn't
could
Whatever
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Red Green's dismal safety record. Some of his skits look like thinly disguised suicide attempts. I will never forget one episode where he used a small, benchtop tablesaw. He was actually throwing peices at it and the saw blade was catching it and throwing it all over the place. Very scary.

Only some of them?

I liked the one where he turned a car into a camper, complete with a grill where the grille would be, and a toilet built into the trunk. He made a really cool beer-bottle clock once, too.
The guy's a genius, without a doubt. Not one to be emulated, but a genius.
Lee Michaels wrote: ...

Chill, man!!!!
He's got all his fingers (and as far as I know, toes :) ) and I've never seen the hint of a bandage...I suspect those shots are pretty well made up to look much more scary than they really are.
He's not running a "how-to" show, after all.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Well, on the first hand, I don't watch TV, and least of all PBS. I tuned in to watch one Norm show and started a brush fire that is probably still raging in the land of misfit ignored threads somewhere. (I haven't been a regular PBS watcher for yearrrrs, but I am an avid NPR listener, if anyone cares. So muchso that it's really weird when I do get a glimpse of TV and see what some of these people look like for a change. I couldn't believe how goofy looking Wesley Clark was, for example.)

And on the second hand, I just checked out the PBS affiliate that covers a good third of my state, and there ain't no Red anything except Clifford the Big Red Dog. So I'm completely exhonerated for never having heard of it. :)
On the gripping hand, I'd probably rather watch Nude Teens on Ice. Or at least Nude Twenty-Somethings on Ice. Or hell, Nude MILFs on Ice. Or even Nude BBWs on Ice. As long as it's got nekkit wimminz it can't be all bad. Failing nekkit wimminz, a good show about how something mechanical works will do.