Layout on Dark Wood?

Group,

I need to lay out reference marks for placing templates on wenge, and for marking the ends of stopped router cuts. Obviously, a pencil won't do. A marking knife is out, as most of the marks will be away from the cuts. I've used blue painter's tape previously (lay down the tape, pencil on that). But I'm wondering if there's a better method? Something that won't interfere with say, a router sliding over the wood? One thing that comes to mind is plain adhesive backed shelf paper to cover the entire piece, but I'm not sure how easily that would release afterwards. Has anyone seen or used a method that worked well?

Thanks.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

White chalk?

Reply to
stoutman

Maybe. Is it possible to get relatively fine lines with that? How durable would the markings be - good enough for a few passes with the router?

Reply to
Art Greenberg

You can get pencils of almost any color "lead" at an art supply store, and probably at places like Office Depot too. Maybe even the school supplies section at Wal-Mart. I imagine that a white or yellow mark would show up pretty easily. The one thing I'd be worried about is removing the marks afterward. Test on scrap!

Reply to
Doug Miller

Put some tape on it and mark on the tape...so ya can see the lines

Tina...............(delurk mode)

Reply to
Tina

White or yellow "leaded" pencils will, as will light crayons.

Reply to
B a r r y

On 2/28/2006 4:38 AM Art Greenberg mumbled something about the following:

Silver Sharpie works for me (and for Norm it looks like).

Reply to
Odinn

I use white chinagraph pencils John

Reply to
John B

Pop into a local fabric store and ask about pencils for marking cut lines on cloth...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

of the sets show white, they may be available individually.
has individual ones at a higher price. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Mythbusters, too!

Reply to
B a r r y

You can try a white or other color water color pencil available at any art or craft supply store. You can sharpen to a relatively sharp point and removes fairly easily.

MBR

Reply to
gadgetman

This what I use on metal.

I constantly sharpen them to get the thin line.

They should be OK for wood too.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Seamstress chalk comes in a few colors. nice and hard like a pencil too.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz