Large Exotic Timbers Questions

Hi All,
Ran into a buddy who works for the railroad. They have been and will continue to get large marine diesel engines in from Asia and South America for rebuilds at the local plant. He knew I was into wood working and wanted me to look at some of the timbers that had stacking up. I drove up and started looking at what I though was white oak and ash. Guess what they were. That was the timbers that they use for out going shipments. Carl yells at me to drive down to the other end of the building.
I go down to the other end of the build and here is a stack of timbers about 9 ft high and 60 ft long. On the top is a piece of purplehart about 16'x4"x9" too heavy to move. Also in the pile is Teak, Mahogany, a really red wood, and a deep reddish brown wood. Carl asks if I am interested. I nod cause I am speechless. I have Carl take me up to his boss who just want to get rid of it.
First off is it worth going after? What should I look out for in moving this pile? Are they any dangers from chemicals? It appears to be semi-green. How do you cut up such big pieces? How do you dry them? How would you move them? Carl says that they use a cable crane to load the firewood guys trucks. I was going to talk to truck driver whose wife is a friend of my SWMBO about bartering him and truck and low-boy to move it. How do you unload it? Am I nuts? What to do with the really warped pieces? Is it dangerous to burn certain kinds of wood?
Chef
all is extremely toxic, better send it to me. ;-)
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Master Chef Richard Campbell" < snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net> wrote in message
Ok you Knucklehead,
I should have said serious replies only. Now I am going to get it. And being stuck with only serious old time boring dudes. Probably someone going to suggest that I hand plane them down to a usable/transportable size.
Just Kidding Knucklehead.
BTW it is pick up only no deliveries.

If the wood were furniture quality, it wouldn't be used as timbers. The Asians and South Americans are not particularly stupid.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:11:47 GMT, "Master Chef Richard Campbell"

probably
really nice stuff and really nasty stuff. I bet you'll find both.

maybe
research drying methods

a chainsaw, resaw bandsaw and thicknesser are in your future...

if you're not in a hurry air

fork lift, come along, balanced on a wheelbarrow, hand truck, two big guys, dragged behind the minivan....

one at a time.

yes.
burn them

yes.
Bridger
oh, and.....
You Suck.
Definitely worth getting, especially if you have bandsaw capable of resawing those timbers into useable boards
Doubt there are any chemicals to worry about
Moving them make be as simple as finding some friends or college students who would help supply the muscle needed. Offering a keg party AFTER the "move the wood" project would often get better "volunteers" from the local college
John
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:11:47 GMT, "Master Chef Richard Campbell"

Any wood coming into the US must be treated or fumigated. Opening a container is akin to opening a vat at the Raid factory. It will dissipate over a couple of weeks though., Since crating material is not always KD it is best to let it air dry for a few months anyway. Ed
Wow - you almost made it 2 weeks between gloats.
Looks like a pretty good year for you :)
Good luck.
Please post pics when you get the loot home.