laminate

Question for the guys that laminate stuff all the time. I fixing to do a small half round table for the end of my hallway. I'm going to do it in walnut to match the living room furniture. I need to make a half round apron obviously laminated. How thick do you all resaw the pieces? Would/do you do the whole apron in walnut or just the outside piece and use a secondary wood for the rest? What type of glue to use, gorilla or brown titebond? I've got the form made, hopefully that was the hardest part. I've never done any laminating or bending before, and what I've googled up really didn't answer what I wanted. Many thanks!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Tim

Depending on the radius of the curve you'll find that from 1/16 to 1/8 will work well. I'd steam the wood first and clamp to your form, let it dry then laminate the pieces. You can easily use walnut for just the outside layer, I'd do both the front and back, with only the middle pieces a secondary wood.

For glue I prefer to use something that has very little movement. My preference has always been epoxy but then most of my laminations have been for marine applications. I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

Tim Taylor wrote:

Reply to
brandom11

Tim Taylor wrote: > Question for the guys that laminate stuff all the time. I fixing to do a > small half round table for the end of my hallway. I'm going to do it in > walnut to match the living room furniture. I need to make a half round > apron obviously laminated. How thick do you all resaw the pieces? Would/do > you do the whole apron in walnut or just the outside piece and use a > secondary wood for the rest? What type of glue to use, gorilla or brown > titebond? I've got the form made, hopefully that was the hardest part. I've > never done any laminating or bending before, and what I've googled up really > didn't answer what I wanted. Many thanks!

So you want to use some boat building techniques huh?

I'd probably use 1/8"-1/4" thick stock for laminating depending on the radius of the piece.

Run some tests on a couple of pieces to see if they will conform to your jig before cutting all the stock.

Since the laminations are not going to be visible, use walnut for the whole thing. Why? Because you only have one material to handle.

Epoxy. Get a slow hardener and mix small batches. Will give you time to work.

You don't indicate the width of the lamination, maybe 4"-5"?

Spring back can be a little squirrelly.

Plan on some spring back, probably something like 1/8"-1/4". You might get lucky and not have any. Another reason to use only one type material.

Don't be in a hurry to get the piece out of the clamps.

I have left some laminations for a week.

Good luck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The important part is the radius. If its a tight radius - 1/6" strips. Large radius - 1/8" You can use bending luan for the core and only use the walnut on the visible surfaces. I used gorilla glue and plastic resin glue (urea formaldehyde) with great success. Its all a question of speed. (If waterproofing is not an issue). If you can glue it all up and clamp it in less than five-6 minutes, regular titebond will work - 7-15 gorilla will do - GT 15min use plastic resin glue or epoxy. No matter the choice - leave it clamped a minimum of 24 hours.

Dave

Teamcasa

all nighter due to the storms) then I'll resaw me some 1/16" pieces. It's a pretty tight radius. It's to fit in a 20" wide space at the end of the hall. I had looked around a little just going to buy one, but everything I found was way too big. IF, and I repeat IF it turns out, I'll post a picture. I really do appreciate the help on this one. Like I said, I've never tried to do any laminate work. Although the 75 or so feet of walnut was free, I hate wasting anything.

Reply to
Tim Taylor