Just plane cool !

I just recently tuned a block plane for use and began playing with it. Took a few tries to set the blade right but I finally got it cutting nicely w/o dial indicator. Couldn't get it to stop skipping on maple but a wrecker suggested going the other way, worked like a charm.

Then I grabbed a scrap of wood and started planing it for practice (I need a lot). I was amazed! Not that I was able to make curls but by the way the wood looked. The surface felt smooth and flat but looked wavy, little shiny undulations and lines were visible everywhere and this was an SPF 2x4! If this keeps up I may just go plane crazy...

Reply to
RayV

Welcome to the slippery slope! Prepare to watch your cash disappear... I was just appreciating my low-angle block plane last night, as well as my shoulder plane trimming some tenons. I was also appreciating how nice butternut is to work with - this is my first project incorporating that wood. Nice stuff! Anyway, glad you're enjoying your plane. You also might want to find some friends with small furry pets that need bedding, so you have something to do with all your curly shavings. Keep practicing/experimenting/playing, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I found the cash disappearance temporary, as I soon realized many of the gadgets I owned, especially a bunch of power tool jigs, were soon available for "redeployment" via eBay.

Reply to
B A R R Y

A low-angle block plane may still chatter on long grain. Wait 'til you try a No. 4 or a jack plane.

I've had great luck with cheap Stanley block planes right out of the box for stuff like putting chamfers on oak balusters. Very handy.

You might also like to try the tiny Stanley trimming plane, aka mini block plane. Fun as hell for $8. (Someone like Great Neck or Buck Brothers sells one too, but I can't vouch for it.)

In the interest of science, I just bought a $10 Indian-made No. 4 from HF. Cap iron? More like crap iron. If I can make this thing work, I'll come here and gloat about it. If I can't, maybe I'll turn it into the world's most overbuilt putty knife.

Reply to
boorite