Jointing with Hand Planes

Page 2 of 2
AArDvarK wrote:

You mean the kind that lists on the label one ingredient, "odorless petroleum distillate, similar to kerosene"?

--
--John
Now THAT is tellin' 'im!! Alex

I bet your plane is not a great plane and that is the start of the trouble. http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/handtools.pl?noframes ;#43012 http://www.amgron.clara.net /
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
It doesn't take a very experienced WWer to joint 8' boards at all. I'm a total neophyte and jointed 5' boards square and straight with a #6 plane. The key is a well tuned plane set to shave the finest shaving possible. I used a vintage Stanley with stock iron to plane tissue thin shavings. I'm not trying to brag, but rather telling you it's not rocket science. A bit of skill and knowledge is required, but it's not *that* much. I think too many people are intimidated by it all when they really shouldn't be.

Hi Sam,
Glad to hear your hand-planing is going so well. I'm sure using all the L-N planes has been a wonderful experience for you. Since the last discussion I ordered a L-N 4.5 smoother and have again been absolutely stunned. I have a Steve Knight smoother as well, and several old Stanley's. The SK gives exceptional results - no argument there - and I love to use it, too. I have to say, however, that holding the hefty iron of the L-N gives me a bit more satisfaction. My biggest dilemma these days is 1) learning how to use the planes more adeptly and 2) coming up with a good storage solution for them. I'm trying to take my time and want to build a very polished and customized wall cabinet for the planes and all my chisels and hand tools. Due to lack of storage space I pretty much just leave out the 4.5, LA Jack and my block planes. Gotta remidy the situation ASAP.
Good job on the jointing and keep having fun.
Mike

L-N
have
more
them.
customized
lack
block
Mike,
As to #2 we are in the same boat -- nice tools need a nice home. Over the past year I have spent a considerable chunk of change to obtain nice chisels, hand saws and now planes. I recently bought the book on toolboxes and have been dreaming up a good storage solution. I am not sure if I will go cabinet or box quite yet and I have a kitchen to put the final touches on so it will be a little while till I get to the tool box.
Yeah the 4.5 from LN is very nice -- as is their service. I discovered earlier this week that I had a broken "frog hold down pin" -- within two emails with no proof from me that I indeed had really purchased anything, replacement pins are on the way. Nice way to do business.
Cheers Sam
Sam the Cat wrote:

By any chance, Jim Tolpin's Toolbox Book?? I'm going to build a variation of the wall-mounted toolbox for planes and chisels..perhaps two. It is very similar to a design I was planning on my own, mounted on french cleats and thus easily movable (not considering the weight)

I chose the cabinet because it will keep the handtools close at hand right at the end of the workbench.

I like the way you saved $1100 on the big old jointer and only spent $900 instead. :-)
Actually, I bet you spent more because of that hand plane addiction you know have.
So what did you do for the place to hold down those 8' long boards? Is a new fancy workbench in the offing?
Bob

of
joint up

the
for
Bob, The bench was last summers project ;) Cheers
I'm not sure where this thread is going, but...
I'm no expert, but I can joint the boards for a table top quite well and quite accurately with an old, wooden jointing plane and a shooting board. It's no big deal...doesn't require years of skill, just a little thought and planning.
In fact, I have a shooting board clamped to my workbench all the time and often use it rather than walking over to the jointer.
That's not to say I don't use the jointer...I do. But edge jointing with a plane allows me to make very fine adjustments that are difficult with the jointer. And the quality of the jointed surface is far, far better than the machine-jointed surface.
DaveinFLL =========================It's not the heat, it's the humidity! =========================(..Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)