Jointing S3S board on a table saw

I have some 1 X 6 walnut I want to make into a table top. Can I joint it on the table saw with the smooth side (it looks very straight) on the fence, or do I need to build a jig?

Reply to
mkochsch

Yes, You may not need a jig at all. It all depends on how straight your s3s wood is down one edge. If it is not perfectly straight you will need a jig.

Reply to
Leon

Always best to joint a glue joint, but if you have a good blade and the saw is setup properly and the other side really is straight, it ought to be okay.

Reply to
Toller

This is most likely a bad idea, but for simple jointing job, why not use some hot glue or a strip of double sided carpet tape, lay out the boards as follows

--- are the two 1x6 boards that you want to joint. = would be some piece of 1" thick board for support B is the Blade

Overlap the two boards and use hot glue or double sided carpet tape to hold them together then use a crosscut sled to cut through both boards at the same time. This should in theory give you an exact match for a joint regardless of how straight you pushed the boards through or how they are aligned.

I wonder if anyone has tried something like this, because that is how you do it with wallpaper, carpet, and many other items is to cut both sided at the same time.

Now all that's left is to wait for all the people to tear my idea apart :-).

Beginner Wood Hack

Sam Brooks

Reply to
Samuel Brooks