Joining the CNC club!

Page 2 of 3
Robatoy wrote:

Next on the list. :-)
My old minivan (I need to sell!) has two I may use as a proof of concept. :-)
--

-MIKE-

neighbour, years ago, was playing with one of those exercise spring things. You know the ones, you could hook springs between the handles and streeeetch them for exercise. You could add them as you needed them. He had two springs on, and his foot inside one of the handles and he was trying to push the other handle towards the ceiling. Well, he almost got the thing past his shoulder when it slipped out from under his foot, breaking his jaw in several places and electrocuting him as the whole mess destroyed some track lighting. Damn near blinded him for life from the heavy glass fragment of those old style flood lamps. 3 weeks in hospital. Never the same since. His co-workers bought him a Slinky for Christmas that year....bastards.

What diameter pipe are you trying to flap? I 'think' I might have an idea for a flapper-valve seat which could be done for cheap and from local materials.

Is there anything that for the valve could use a piece of bicycle inner tube as sealing material? Certainly in Asia bicycles are plentiful, and so must used up inner tubes. You should be able to get 2-3" diameter pieces out of that.
--
Best regards
Han

There you... stealing my idea...LOL. The Dutch made all kinds of fun things out of innertubes. I had a slingshot that could take out a bus.

That dates you, Robatoy!!!
--
Best regards
Han

How about paper blow-darts? Launched trough plastic electrical conduit. (That thought just shocked me.. we had our house re-wired in the mid-1950's...and we had plastic conduit....)

We used Bic pens with the inkstraws removed. In high school class. But not in physics ...
--
Best regards
Han

In school we used a bent piece of solder and a strong rubber band. Those could draw blood. The 1/2" paper arrows had fantastic range and could take a small bird down.
I'll make some up when I have some time and post a video on its contruction and performance.
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:11:13 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
in

Bwahahahahaha! That's a good one.

We used to shoot unbent paper clips or loosened bobby pins. Those hurt like HELL! (There's where I date myself, too.)

Great!
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
In jr. high, my older brother and his delinquent buddy's used to shoot those blow-darts at each other. I gave my brother a small metal tube from my first drum set, so he had an advantage.
We sat up most of one night, making arrows from sewing pins and the ends (aglets?) of shoe laces. We would cut the ends off, leaving about a 1/4" of lace, push the needles through the aglet, then fray the lace. We would then (not kidding) dip the needle points in Raid ant killer. When stuck with one of these tainted needles, you would get a welt that itched all day.
They used to go at it in the hallways during class changes. They would wear their shop goggles and run the halls, hunting each other down and shooting these blow-darts. Lots of civilian casualties led to confiscation and suspension for each of them.
--

-MIKE-

Robatoy wrote:

50mm/2" at present, perhaps 100mm/4" later, and possibly 200mm/8" after that. The 2" looks like it /should/ be easy, the 4" might be iffy, and the 8" is likely to be a real challenge (but that pump is going to offer a number of other challenges anyway).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Rockler states: Resolution: Full step of 0.0005 inch; at 1/8 step 0.0000625 inch. I don't know what that translates into for real world results. I'm thinking in a woodworking show scenario if they are generating parts in real time then there are compromises as far as quality vs machining time and they aren't going to have you stand there for 4 hours waiting for it to do its thing. You'd think they'd have some full quality results on hand though too.
The software it comes with seems very capable as far as 2D work but you have to get additional parts to do 3D carving, or go to a different software package altogether.
I'll find out soon enough!
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

Exactly.
I sincerely hope you are pleased with it and it suits your needs.
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:22:49 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

I'd sure rather have one of those nice Laguna CNCs than a stupid Beemer.
-- Q: How many climate scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. There's a consensus that it's going to change, so they've decided to keep us in the dark.
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:00:08 -0800, Larry Jaques

For 60k it better come with Kate Hudson ;)
-Kevin
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:43:47 -0500, the infamous Kevin

I've love^H^H^Husted after that woman since "Almost Famous"!
-- Q: How many climate scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. There's a consensus that it's going to change, so they've decided to keep us in the dark.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:57:48 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

May as well pick your brains while I'm at it. I need to order some end mills and I'm wondering what size range I ought to have. I'm limited to the 1/4" collet of the Colt so nothing bigger than that. 1/4" and 1/8" ought to cover most everything for a straight cutter but how small do I need to have for ball end for detail 3D work?
I found one source that said using a split 1/8 to 1/4 adapter increases runout and they offer a pressed on bushing that they say is better. Any merit to that?
I haven't googled this one yet, but is there a table somewhere for feedrate vs diameter and cutting depth?
I'm at a bit of a loss as far as how to price cnc work. There's design time and that's straightforward enough, but what about running time on the cnc?
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

That depends on the fineness of the detail. Most of the end mills I've seen smaller than 1/8" still have 1/8" shanks, so once you have your collet adapter, you can go about as fine as you like. My KBC Tools catalog list ball end mills with diameters down to 1/64", and I'd guess that you should be able to find 1/128 with a bit of looking.

Perhaps. I think I'd have to wonder if the increase is significant in the work you do - after all, there isn't any /perfect/ tooling.

There's also RPM and number of flutes that need to be considered along with diameter.

Most of the guys I know doing custom CNC routing bill somewhere between $50 and $75/hour for machine time.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Thanks, that narrows it down :P

Great, so the robot makes more than I do. Well, I suppose it's more accurate and doesn't spend half the day putzing around when it ought to be working.
-Kevin