JOAT HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT?

When I was in S. Korea in 1984 I was looking at some Celadon Porcelain vases that a street vender was selling. He had the price marked in US$, Korean WAN, and Japanese yen. Doing a quick conversion in my head I could see that the Yen price was almost twice the US$ price, and the Wan price was in the middle. I asked the guy why that was so. He said that most Americans were unaware of what made one vase worth more than another vase (Color, who made it etc.) and were unwilling to pay the going Korean price. The Japanese on the other hand were well educated in Celadon porcelain and were more than willing to pay a much higher price for the same item. To them it was still a bargain compared to what they would have to pay back home. Pricing is very subjective. Charge a price that at least makes it worth your while. I real-estate they say price is what ever buyer is willing to sell for, and what ever a buyer is willing to pay.

Scott

vmtw

I don't believe it was true celadon in 1984. The method of firing it had been lost for centuries and wasn't rediscovered until around that time - by a potter in England

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As Frank Klausz once said, figure a fair price, then double it.

When it comes to professional cabinet work, it always pays to heed Mr. Klausz.

Reply to
DarylRos

Reminds me of the guy I know whose neighbor failed for months to sell her house for $50,000, who then sold it immediately for $75,000, or something like that. The person who bought it had looked at it for $50,000, but they didn't want to live in a lowly $50,000 house.

People are stupid sometimes.

Reply to
Silvan