Jet table saw arrived!!!!

I got one like this: (Amazon.com product link shortened)59143427/ref=sr_1_32/104-7369371-5594358?ie=UTF8&s=hi only I purchased through Ebay seller Timberline tools. Total cost for saw was $1300 + $149 for the mobile base $1449 included shipping to my house. The carrier (Estes) was very professional. The driver arrived in a van at 1pm Friday, and we were able to slide the big box down some 2x4's right onto the shop floor. No damage at all. Spent the afternoon Friday and a good part of Saturday setting it up, and am very pleased with the saw with one exception. First thing assembled was the mobile base. Per Timberline tools recommendation I purchased this Delta MB (Amazon.com product link shortened)59144783/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-7369371-5594358?ie=UTF8&s=hi instead of the Jet MB. The Delta MB was real easy to assemble and is very sturdy. I was able to slide the saw off the pallet and right onto the MB myself. The saw now rolls around pretty effortlessly. Installing the extension tables took a little time. The left side had to be shimmed up slightly with some foil but the right side was perfect. I have a LV straightedge and everything, including the far right side (melamine) table extension is within a couple thou of dead flat. A hand written inspection sheet came with the saw and it is as follows: Run out of arbor flange - .0008" Parallelism between blade and miter slot .0028" and Minimum blade height 3.03". I'm very pleased with the precision it was manufactured with. Certainly good enough for woodworking. The end cabinet and shelf under the saw installed easily. I did have to drill some new holes in the bottom of the end cabinet to move the legs inward some so they would fit in the Delta mobile base, but no biggie. Also, the template the factory provides to drill the holes in the cabinet for the lower shelf are not correct. Good thing I double checked their measurements before drilling. Anyway, the big disappointment is the fence. It's a Beis clone and should work well, but the damn thing has an awful twist in it. And sadly enough, it's the only part of the saw that was made in the USA. I plan on calling Jet tomorrow and and see about getting a new one. I have a number of Jet machines now and have never had a problem, but I will report back with my customer service experience. All said and done, the new saw is awesome. The instructions weren't the greatest, but I'm extremely impressed with the smoothness of the hand wheels, the finish on the cabinet and the flatness of the tables. The saw also has a magnetic switch that controlls the 3 hp motor. It's a big step up from my Rockwell 1.5 hp Contractors saw (although it was a good old machine) and somehow, it seems woodworking is gonna take on a whole new level. I will no longer fear burning up a motor ripping thick stock! Jet 3hp + WWII = Pure ripping enjoyment ;) --dave

(Amazon.com product link shortened)59143427/ref=sr_1_32/104-7369371-5594358?ie=UTF8&s=hi> recommendation I purchased this Delta MB> All said and done, the new saw is awesome. The instructions weren't

I've got a Jet TS with Delta base and WWII. It is a great improvement over the Jet contractor saw I had and that was actually pretty good! Only thing is that when I've got volume ripping to do (100s of LF) I put a Freud rip blade on the saw and save the WWII's more delicate teeth for other tasks. I think you'll like it!
John
Dave Jackson wrote:

Are you sure its not just the UHMW plastic that's causing the twist. The plastic can be shimmed.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I got a JTAS a year ago, and the metal fence was set at 91 degrees. Jet shipped me a new fence, with two more UHWM sides.
(snip) Are you sure its not just the UHMW plastic that's causing the twist. The plastic can be shimmed.
Yes, the twist is in the metal tube itself. I removed the sides and checked that carefully. The only way I could fix it myself is to grind the welds off and weld a new steel tube on. More than I care to do for a brand new fence. I contacted Jet this morning and they are sending out a new one. --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)59143427/ref=sr_1_32/104-7369371-5594358?ie=UTF8&s=hi
Dave, thanks for posting this. Estes has tried to deliver mine but I've been out of town so they will make it next Monday. It's killing me to wait but I'll have a few weeks off to play with it and the WW show in Buffalo is this weekend so I hope to get some toys for it. Estes told me they'd send a lift gate and didn't ask to be paid so we'll see. I'll let you know how my saw shows up when it gets here.