Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize yellowing. Is all tung oil the same? I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried about other addatives causing some yellowing.

Reply to
brian_j_roth

The Minwax stuff is sold as "Tung Oil Finish" and does not state it is pure Tung oil or that it even contains any Tung oil at all. It just says it is an oil finish. It is not like a food product which must state what the ingredients are.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

In fact, any product called "Tung Oil Finish" is almost guaranteed to NOT contain any tung oil. :-).

But there are tung oil products out there. I know Woodcraft carries a couple and I'm sure others do as well.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If you want tung oil, you need to get "Pure Tung Oil". It is one of my favorite finishes, but it will darken maple. Too much for my taste. I am in the final stages of making a spalted maple box and am planning to use super blond shellac.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

If you want to minimize any coloring on the maple, I'd recommend using a water clear finish, such as lacquer or Waterbased Poly, such as Minwax Polycrylic.

As far as the "Tung oil finish - Your guess is as good as any as to what's in it.

Reply to
Gregory Paolini

No. Ingredients Med. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent Methyl Ethyl Ketoxime Cobalt 2-Ethylhexanoate

Reply to
jhowecreations

linseed oil

Reply to
Spalted Walt

nope. Go to a rockler, woodcraft or another local gem for the real stuff; prepare for a sticker shock, comparatively speaking.

On the other hand, I've done MANY successful projects with the low sheen Wa tco Tung Oil Finish. It's among my favorite finishes, when I'm looking f or that simple hand rubbed look, but want something just a little harder. Rocking horses, tabletops, butcher block counters without a lot of water c ontact, etc.

Reply to
Steve