Interesting spraying device

Hello,
Recently I noticed a spraying device that seems to use a can of compressed air attached to a small cup that contains stain, dye, etc. The device appears in the August 2005 issue of Fine Woodworking (no. 178) on page 122 (The Finish Line section). and also on page 85 of Jeff Jewitt's Great Wood Finishes, a Step by Step Guide to Beautiful Results. The two sources seem to have different models of a very similar device, but the principle seems the same. Curiously, both sources are written by Jeff Jewitt. I searched his website, but could not find this device. Perhaps I was looking for the wrong key words. Does anyone know where I can find this type of sprayer? Does anyone own one of these, and what are its strengths, weaknesses, primary uses, etc?
Thanks, Brian
Brian Mahaney wrote:

Those are available from a number of places. I got one from my paint store to do a bit of touch up on a metal project. I could get the paint matched and then spray it on with the sprayer without having to call in my painters.
IMHO, these are kind of throw away devices. I still have the one that I bought, but have only used it twice. It is a bit of a pain unless you are only doing a small amount of work and for some reason find that it is easier to spray (which happens). They need to be cleaned thorougly, or you will suffer the same effects as a clogged can of spray paint.
I got mine from Sherwin Williams paint store, but they have them at Harbor Freight, Home depot, etc.
Here is one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber02
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Preval Paint Sprayers
http://www.bestgun.com/en-us/dept_103.html
Brian Mahaney wrote:

I haven't seen the device you're talking about, but it sounds like an air brush. They usually have a small container for thin paint and use compressed air (either from an air compressor or can of propellant) to paint things.
They're a common thing in hobby shops, and they'll also run off your shop air supply so you can save money off of the aerosol cans.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:59:27 GMT, Brian Mahaney wrote:

Thank you for the responses. I still haven't found the device that Jeff Jewitt uses in the photos I mentioned. After looking at the pictures again, I think they are both the exact same device. I did find the Preval sprayers. I bought one and tried it. The results were not good for what I tried. I tried to spray some water based analine dye. Much of what came out failed to atomize. With some practice I was able to get it to look a little better. I'll try it with some other stuff to see how it works. Maybe it will work well with other liquids like lacquer. I would still like to find and try the one in the pictures I saw. I'll keep searching.
Thanks again, Brian
Try the Critter.

It would be more helpful to show him what a "Critter" is:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p 048&cat=1,190,43034
These are excellent for "certain" applications but will result in a "LOT" of overspray. I would use it "outdoors" if you don't have a "spray booth".
Dave wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:19:02 GMT, Pat Barber wrote:

I've seen the critter's. They look interesting, I don't have an air compressor. I'd like one, and one may be in the cards at some point, but not yet. Truthfully, I think I'd rather have a decent HVLP system in the future. It's smaller. I don't have a lot of space available. I really wasn't looking for that kind of volume. I was just hoping I could do some small work with that little spray device, but the HVLP would be great for more volume.
Brian
www.homesteadfinishing.com and ask Jeff.