Instruction manual for Rockwell 31-520 Belt Sander

I received this unit (some of its not assembled anymore) and need an instruction manual. Does anyone know where I can find one?! Here is a picture of the 31-520, although mine is in much better shape!

for any leads. BTW, is Rockwell owned by Delta now? Whats the story on Rockwell, are they still around? I think this sander is from the late 80's or early 90's.

Reply to
Subw00er

Sander Ever Built unless you've got the pressed steel table in which case we'll withhold judgement until you've had a chance to see how it tracks.

No. The story, from the beginning and as quickly as I can.

In the beginning God made Herbert Tautz. Tautz went on to begin Delta Specialty which became Delta Manufacturing Co. Then in 1939 some nice men fro Timken Detroit Axle offered Tautz one million dollars (a cajillion dollars after inflation is figured) and Tautz sold. Tautz was a genius and this last act only firmed up his grasp of doing the smart thing.

Life went on it's merry way, the world was at war and Delta flourished as an essential industry. Then in 1945ish Rockwell Manufacturing (formerly Pittsburgh Equitable Meter) bought Delta. Actually, Timken and Rockwell were the same thingish and I suspect it was a paper transfer and not an actual sale. Back to the story. Life continued it's merriness with the exception of the Milwaukee plant being closed. This went on for some time until the mid-70's when Rockwell International (they morphed over the years) decided that all that was holy and good could not be tolerated and began a campaign to see to it that the Delta line sucked as much as possible. In other words, the value engineered the machines until they had a real quality problem.

This went of for a while until 1984 when the Penthair Corporation bought the Rockwell machinery division and re-badged it back to Delta.

It was in all the papers.

If you're up for it part of the story is here.

think this sander is from the late 80's or early 90's.

I'm predicting a 70's vintage. If you have a serial number we can firm it up.

Oh, and the manual, have you checked the OWWM? Look under Delta. Also, Ace Tool Repair will have it. Also, Delta's Web page might have it if you can extrapolate the model number up to something newer. The problem with Penthair is they don't realize that Delta goes back to the 20's.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

UA100, thanks for the info. Ace had a nice blowup diagram for me which made the rework really easy!

My serial # is HC4486. I may tend to agree with you about its age. As I cleaned it up I noticed it had been repaired a bit; rewelded where the belt ate through the case a bit, and below the table to catch the dust on the bottom was made at a later date out of aluminum. I'm not sure if there was ever a cover for this area. It should work nice just the same. Its all clean now and has a new belt and it looks great!

Now I just have to figure out how to mount the motor and base since I dont have the original stand anymore. I'm planning on bolting them to one of my

2/4 table's tops and using a 4' belt. I bought one of those nifty, red link V-belts that are supposed to reduce vibration.

That reminds me, while I was cleaning it I noticed that the spool coming off of the motor is slightly warped. I couldn't get it off to straighten/replace it though - even when the set screw was removed. I think its sort of melded itself to the shaft of the motor, and although I can rotate it slightly when I hold the motor shaft, it wont come off. Maybe the belt will take care of some of the vibration that I'm sure is there. BTW, can I get a new spindle (spool, whatever its called! Yunno the thing that the belt goes around) from somewhere? Is this a standard size?

To answer your question, I'm not sure if its the "good one" or not. It has what looks like a cast table that has been grinded on the top, just like my Jet table saw. Its very heavy.

Thanks again for the reply. Its neat to clean up these old tools, replace bolts... Sort of fun!

-Sub

Reply to
Subw00er

It's a '75.

Yes there was.

The pulley (sheave David)?

First off, check to see if there isn't a second set screw. The purpose for the second set screw is to act as a "jamb screw".

Next, buy a wheel puller from your local (insert name of auto parts store franchise here).

If your pulley (sheave) is bent/not true you won't be doing too much good with the link belt. You need a new pulley (sheave).

Pulleys (sheaves) are as common as dirt. I would go with a machined pulley like a Browning. Try McMaster-Carr or MSC.

The tale will be told when you go to see if the belt will track and I don't mean when it's sitting there running with no load on the belt. With a load on the belt you can expect some mis-tracking depending on where you are placing pressure but the tracking should not be erratic.

Sort of? I say, "a lot of", but then that's just me.

By the way, Pete Swelzen from down in Libertyville is parting out a 6" X 48" on eBay. You might want to look at some of his wares.

would add the usual disclaimers but I really don't care. I bought my 6" X 48" from Pete and he's trustable.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100