INSPIRATION - The Penultimate Router Table

If he can do it, you can probably do it. Or, at least some of you. It ain't rocket sicience after all.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:25:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Reply to
LRod

Tue, Jan 24, 2006, 10:21pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (LRod) did post, changing the subject::

Uh, you "do" know that I don't name these things, don't you? I just post 'em.

Unless "he" doesn't know what the word means, apparently he plans on making another one.

JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
J T

I'm hoping that he does know, as I would be sad to think the reference as the ultimate.

Reply to
entfillet

So you knew what it meant all along but left the incorrect interpretation in the subject line over your signature to be emblazoned in the archives and apparent ignorance inextricably linked to you forever.

Sure.

Reply to
LRod

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 2:04am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (LRod) doth query thusly: So you knew what it meant all along but left the incorrect interpretation in the subject line over your signature to be emblazoned in the archives and apparent ignorance inextricably linked to you forever.

If it mattered, I'd care. It don't, and I doesn't.

JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
J T

The LRod entity posted thusly:

There is no indication whatsoever that the fellow in question used the term incorrectly. He will have used it correctly if at some future time, he decides to design one, and only one more router table. If he does not design another, or if he designs more than one more, he will be in error of fact only, which still does not indicate incorrect usage of the term.

About the only thing you can criticize regarding his use of the term is that he used "the" instead of "my", possibly indicating that one and only one more router table will ever be designed by anyone.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Tue, Jan 24, 2006, 11:18pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@spamslam.com (Oleg=A0Lego) doth burble: There is no indication

My, my. We now have a grammer cop amongst us. You keep LRod straigh now, you hear? LMAO

JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
J T

Actually there are subtle variations at play here. Ultimate has a usage which is much more qualitative than sequential. The "ultimate" saw (for example) would be the saw which is so wonderful and perfect it is incapable of being improved. Penultimate, otoh, simply refers to the next to last of a sequence or set. I think Mr. Router Table was trying to imply that his table is the best possible and thought that since penultimate has more syllables, it must be better than ultimate.

All this knowledge and I STILL can't make decent dove tails!

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Uh, 'scuse me, but didn't it occur to anyone that the OP might have been making a point with the "correct" use of penultimate? There will never be an "ultimate" plan for a router table, thus to label his as the penultimate will always assure it a place in the pantheon of router table designs, e.g., the next to last design.

Mutt.

Reply to
Pig

I'm with Mutt......He's leaving himself some room for his next design to be just that little bit better..

Thus (please insert triumphant horn salute here) it will become the penultimate table. ;-)

Reply to
bremen68

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 10:58am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pig) doth sayeth: There will never be an "ultimate" plan for a router table,

Disagree. For what it does, my present router table can't be improved on. You could make one larger - but then it wouldn't fit the available space. Could make one with different top material - but it would only be more expensive, with no improvement on work. And, so on. See? The function would be unchanged, and it wouldn't perform any better than it does right now. So, for my use, I "did" have the "ultimate" router table. That's why I haven't changed it bfore now. However, because my needs are changing, my present "ultimate" router table, has now morphed into my "penultimate" router table. But, once the new one is finished, it will be my "ultimate" router table. Until, and if, my needs require yet another router table, then it will become my "penultimate" table, and the next one will become my "ultimate" router table. Simple, eh? See my other thread about deciding on the design for my new router table.

JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 11:35am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@paonline.com (bremen68) doth admit his complicity:

If he's only going to make it, "just that little bit better", both of you need to go stand in the corner for awhile.

Best we can do is a whopee cushion.

JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
J T

Better is the enemy of good enough. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Why would you think that? If you even looked at the web site, you'd see that he said that he called it the penultimate "because I'm sure one day I'll improve upon it".

Reply to
Hank Gillette

The J T entity posted thusly:

No 'grammer' cop here. I leave that to Dr. Whom.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

So your position is that someone shouldn't use a perfectly good word correctly because some psuedo-intellectual might come upon it and assume that it was used incorrectly?

Got it.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

Try reading what the guy wrote on his site:

"Penultimate because I'm sure one day I'll improve upon it"

He knows, so that's what he called it.

JOAT just quotes the title.

So cope, OK?

Tim Douglass