I love my Ridgid random orbit sander

I bought a Ridgid ROS last year, but didn't get around to using it for anything until now. Wow. I never thought the dust collection thing would actually do anything, but the dust didn't fly into the air and it didn't wind up on me. Plus variable speed; I like that. I may never use my 1/4 sheet sander again.

Satisfied customer, Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

I sold my 1/4 sheet sander because I didn't use it in several years. I am not sure the point of variable speed though.

Reply to
Toller

It helps a lot with the control of the cut. If you have a piece of 80 grit on the machine and you are surfacing, it is a blessing to be able to open up the rpms and tear off the surface in an open field. But when you get to the edges, a small slip with the machine wide open will cut off or bevel over an edge. (Think refinishing a door here). It is nice to be able to do the heavy cutting at high rpms, and as you refine the surface and change grits, slow it down to be less aggressive.

Also. I like the slower speeds when sanding today's micro thin veneered plywood and doors. With the ultra sharp Mirka papers and Klingspor papers it is easy to sand right through as it is, and higher rpms make it a sure bet if you have a problem piece. Lower rpms help you control how much you remove because you are removing material more slowly.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've found it to be useful. It allows me to power sand at 320 between coats of finish. Full-speed would be just a bit too agressive

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I too have the same sander. I found that it will not work with the "Sanding Sitter" as it will jump out. Has anyone tried it? Is it an RPM issue?

Michael

upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
maico

upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1164601155.095355.209470 @l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Is this the 5" one or the 6" one? The 6" one has a 1/8" rotation mode that supposedly gives a smooth finish...

Reply to
Ken Yee

I think mine's the 5". Model 2600.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Whiel I have had good sanding experiences with the R2600, Anyone have trouble with using the dust collection port attached to a shop vacuum? I have now had 2 of the R2600's die when I plugged in my shop vac into the dust collection port. It seems like the suction caused enough resistance on the motor that it "burned" out. I got the first one replaced under the 90 day return policy and I didn't try the vacuum attached mode again until this weekend and guess what... it happened again. This time I can't just take it back to the store but must either go through the warranty service or order the parts and do it myself. I took it all a part (pretty simple machine actually!) and could find no obvious mechanical problems. So the only electronics are a PC board associated with the switch or the armature itself. Both are about $25 parts from Ridgidparts. I'd rather order 1 and not both to find out I only need one. My best guess is that something blew on the PC board but it could be perhaps a short in the armature windings maybe? Can anyone tell me what the resistance of the armature should be in one that isn't broken? I meaured mine to be about 4 Ohms on adjacent armature contacts and about 8 ohms on contacts on opposite sides of the armature. I'd appreciate any info! Thanks in advance!

-DB

upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
dustybasemt