I accidently posted (and cancelled) a message meant for another NG. - sorry about that.

I cancelled just seconds after it appeared on my newsreader, so you might not see it. If you do see it, just ignore it.
It isn't pertinent to the fine people of this NG!
Dave

alexy wrote:

Dave
David wrote:

Here's the sentence for anyone who missed it:
"When a SEEMINGLY level-headed and intelligent person on this NG can't make the distinction between a declarative statement and a question, I wonder if there's any shred of hope of my posts EVER being understood accurately?"
It WAS a declarative sentence. First, there came the introductory subordinate clause. "When a SEEMINGLY level-headed and intelligent person on this NG can't make the distinction between a declarative statement and a question," has a subject (person), a verb phrase (can make, with "not" as a modifier), and a direct object (distinction). Then came the main clause. "I wonder if there's any shred of hope of my posts EVER being understood accurately?" This, too, has a subject (I) and a verb (wonder) and then a subordinate clause being used as the direct object ("there's" is both subject and verb - "there" + "is"). But the clause is obviously declarative. It makes the statement "I wonder". A question is NOT being asked, so the question mark should be replaced with a period or an exclamation point, as your emotions dictate. :)
It's true: I have WAY too much time on my hands sometimes.
JLarsson wrote:
For all that, you still missed the fact that the sentence asked a question! (The "I wonder... part)
Dave
David wrote:

Dave - I was just having fun, but seriously - "I wonder" is actually an indirect question, not requiring (or desiring) a question mark.

"Be careful not to put a question mark at the end of an indirect question.
The instructor asked the students what they were doing. I asked my sister if she had a date. I wonder if Cheney will run for vice president again. I wonder whether Cheney will run again. "
Regards -
JLarsson
JLarsson wrote:

such as "I wonder if Cheney..." One way is to say it with a level pitch , making it a statement, and the other way is to use a rising inflection to make it a question worthy of an answer by the listener(s).
Peace! :)
Dave

JLarsson-
you're wasting your time. if you want to see details, search google groups for David's previous nym- Bay Area Dave. all will be clear.

I wonder if that is true.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Dave

Thank God you folks aren't splitting infinitives or substituting articles with conjunctions! <g> (Those are MY pet peeves.)
George

Actually I believe it is a statement or declaration about something you are thinking about.
Leon wrote:

sentence, making it a question (along with the words "I wonder")? :)
Dave
David wrote:

Dave

Well no, I read it as a statement that oddly ends with a question mark. But then I am a Texan. LOL
Leon wrote:

dave

And you can read?
Sorry 'bout that - couldn't hep m'sef.