Hypothetical question for wreckers

Page 2 of 2

either.. Mac
Thu, Aug 10, 2006, 5:36am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (foggytown) doth query: Assume that there were no power tools in the world. Would you still be a keen woodworker? Be honest. <snip>
Silly question. Too many variable to give a viable response. Whatca mean by power tools for one? If you mean just electric tools that's one thing, after all there were none for most of our history; but if you include water power, human power, that's something else altogether. And, am I going to be filthy rich, with time to waste; or am I going to be a coal miner say, working 12-14 hours a day, seven days a week? Inquiring mind wants to know.
However, if you're just referring to electric power tools, then I'd have to say that regardless of my occupation and status I'd quite possibly be doing woodworking of one type or another. After all, not so many years back as history goes a lot of people had to make their own furniture, and so on. Doing it as a profession, possibly; doing it as a hobby, I seriously doubt it.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
J T wrote:

If you don't understand the question just say so. Like I'm sure when someone says "power tools" you immediately think of a water-driven Archimedes screw, right? You understood wekll enough. You just wanted to play bitch, didn't you. :)
Sun, Aug 13, 2006, 7:37am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (foggytown) doth stateth: If you don't understand the question just say so. Like I'm sure when someone says "power tools" you immediately think of a water-driven Archimedes screw, right? <sniperoo>
I do not understand the question as written.
Actually, no. Roman water-driven wheels.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:38:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

But "water-driven Archimedes screw" sounds like something kinky in a hot tub... Mac
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 05:36:51 -0700, foggytown wrote:

Yes. I started as a kid with a set of hand tools selected by my granddad and bought by my mother as a birthday present. That's all I had until my teenage years when I got a jig saw. It wasn't until after college that I had enough income to start buying power tools. Now I've got most all the power tools I need and have started moving back into hand tools. I'll probably end up with just hand tools in the end. Second childhood?
D.G. Adams

Mac
I think I part with some of the opinions here in two ways: not only do I think this is a good question, but I believe that thinking about the question is a good thing.
To me, it's valuable to think of "what if the power goes out"? I don't want a shop I can't use during a blackout: it's the reason I'm putting skylights and a woodstove in mine. I want to know I _can_, if needed, do everything by hand. Would I always prefer to do so? No - I'd like the option of power assist, at least for some tasks. But it shouldn't be, and isn't, required for me to enjoy my woodworking.
Dudley
foggytown wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
> I don't > want a shop I can't use during a blackout: it's the reason I'm putting > skylights and a woodstove in mine.
During a blackout, can think of at least one thing I'd rather do than be in the woodworking shop.
Seems over the years I've had some company, if you bother to check the birth rates 9 months after a blackout for conformation.
Lew
On 16 Aug 2006 21:01:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

on hand tools?"
I think in some cases mine is, especially when cutting or sanding smaller pieces...... Sort of like my theory that if you've replaced things on a car such as brakes and clutches and understand how they work, you use them better and with more respect... YMWV Mac