How would you set it up?

I have a dilemma in my shop. I don't know the best way to set it up. The space it 16'x9' and it has to contain several items, some of which hang on the wall. Walls are only 7' high, and the floor is very uneven as it slopes to one side due to the age of the home. I do
1. Tablesaw (on mobile base), 61"w x 41"d 2. Router table (wall mounted) 30"w x 24d 3. Mitre Saw (wall mounted) 22"w x 20"d 4. Drill Press (10" bench top) 16"w 20"d 5. Bench (with tail vise extended) 57"w 25"d 6. Thickness planer (mobile) 28"w x 16"d 7. Cabinet (free standing) 36"w x20"d 8. Shelving rack (free standing) 48"w x 24"d
I also have a lumber storage rack that I built from plans in Wood Magazine. This rack is about 64"w and sticks out from the wall 16" but can be shortened. I was on the Grizzly web site tonight trying to sort it out but I really have no idea what I am doing or what the best way to arrange it is! I would also like to plan for a 6" x 47" jointer so that when it does arrive I don't need to re-plan the whole shop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lars
Check this out - if the link doesn't work, go to grizzly.com and look for their shop planner.
http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?&gidTB6F26F-544B-49CC-84ED-F7D5AD770B6E&site=grizzly
JET

LOL, oops, I just read your post more closely - you already know about the Grizzly site. Sorry about that!!

Highspeed wrote:

organization system in the current (april/may) issue. There's a grid that you "frame out" your workspace in the "patterns" section of the mag with little tools (to scale) that you cut out so you can place them on the grid. I was hooked when I saw the article. Turns out, they organized some dude's workshop for less than $850 (includes retail bought lumber rack, roller bases for two machines, and handbuilt cabinets, mitre-saw station, sheet goods rack, storage systems, etc. You should check it out...
--
Frank A
fdjunk a7 c0mca57 d0t n3t

But UA100 is correct ... only method is to use the shop and constantly make adjustments...
When I first started in the Hobby I honestly had NO room for a workbench so I had to use the top of my Tablesaw as one... Really was not too bad.. it worked but I never did find a way to mount a vise..
Bob Griffiths

Stuff gets moved in my shop whenever I work on a new project, or move to a different phase. I can only do big projects in good weather, because stuff has to go to the outside annex, where the vehicles normally park. They never get into the former garage.
That reminds me. I have wheels to put on the bandsaw.
Patriarch
The table saw is usually centrally located so you can pass a sheet of ply through it. The jointer (if you have one) should be nearby the table saw. If your bench is the same height as the table saw, you're in luck, as stock can be supported or pass over it. If you have a window, put your sharpening center or grinder there to get natural light. With everything else, fill in the spaces. As you use your tools you will move them around to find the best location. I moved my bandsaw and drill press a few times before they found the best spot.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:44:21 -0500, "Highspeed"

Store it where it will fit, place it where you need it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I have a dilemma in my shop. I don't know the best way to set it up. The space it 16'x9' and it has to contain several items, some of which hang on the wall. Walls are only 7' high, and the floor is very uneven as it slopes to one side due to the age of the home. I do
1. Tablesaw (on mobile base), 61"w x 41"d 2. Router table (wall mounted) 30"w x 24d 3. Mitre Saw (wall mounted) 22"w x 20"d 4. Drill Press (10" bench top) 16"w 20"d 5. Bench (with tail vise extended) 57"w 25"d 6. Thickness planer (mobile) 28"w x 16"d 7. Cabinet (free standing) 36"w x20"d 8. Shelving rack (free standing) 48"w x 24"d
I also have a lumber storage rack that I built from plans in Wood Magazine. This rack is about 64"w and sticks out from the wall 16" but can be shortened. I was on the Grizzly web site tonight trying to sort it out but I really have no idea what I am doing or what the best way to arrange it is! I would also like to plan for a 6" x 47" jointer so that when it does arrive I don't need to re-plan the whole shop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Photos of the space here http://www3.sympatico.ca/amylars /
Thanks,
Lars
Sorry, I didn't see my post on one of my usenet servers so I reposted. Thanks for all of the help, from everyone, I will check out Wood magazine and if anyone is interested I have posted a link to some photos in my repost.

Highspeed wrote:

For your first project, add onto your shop so it is 16x27 at the least. I'm being semi-facetious but really, in a shop the existing size - with what you have and will add - you'll be hard pressed to be able to work effectively. For example, you would need every inch of the length to rip an 8' piece of wood. And I'm not sure you even could in 16'.
The ideal shop, IMO, is one that flows from stock area to finish area. Just how it "flows" depends on how you work. In my case, I like to do all rough crosscuts first; consequently, there is easy access from lumber to radial saw.
Next, I reduce thickness via a drum sander (it also does a decent enough job for me of joining the faces), then join an edge and finally rip with table saw. After that is any table router work, then finishing.
My shop is 24X20. Stock is kept at one end. Tools are arranged, along the 24' dimension thusly:
Right side 4'x16"x6' supply cabinet radial saw 4'x16"x6' supply cabinet
Center panel saw shop vac 16-32" drum sander router table
Left side lathe band saw joiner floor drill press All except lathe are mounted on castered platforms so I can pull them out from the wall to work on longer pieces. Same is true of router table and drum sander
Along the short wall opposite the stock wall are a sink and a 12 drawer hand tool table 72x24x36.
Also in this area are two caster mounted tables (2x4s, 3/4 ply tops) each of which are 48"x12"xabout 38" tall. They can be pushed together to double the size either in width or length. I have found them very handy...I use them to assemble (top is arranged with an overhang so stock can be clamped to it, area below the top holds clamps), to rest stuff on that I am shooting through whatever machine, etc. They have been *extremely* handy.
If I ever rebuild those two tables, I'll make at least one of them so I can flop it 90 degrees to have a low platform on which to set taller stuff while working on same.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:44:21 -0500, "Highspeed"

i got a copy of easyshop design i can post in abpw if ya like. its a fre3e program so no copyrite infringement to wory about. not sure where i got it but it works good. let me know.
skeez
maybe you could email it to me, or post to your web space. My email addy is correct just remove "dot". Thanks everyone for your help. I have posted pics of the current situation here http://www3.sympatico.ca/amylars .

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:11:05 -0500, "Highspeed"
done.

email bounced. i will try again. or you can email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com and i will reply that way.
skeez

tried it two more ways. dont know if it will bounce or not. im gonna post it in ABPW also.
skeez