How to write and draw on cocobolo?

I am making cubes of cocobolo, each face being approximately 2 inches by 2 inches. These are going to be "trump cubes" for use in card games. On four of the faces, I want to draw a picture of each of the four suits, a heart, a club, a diamond, and a spade. I will either leave the remaining two faces blank or write some simple words.
BTW, the cube serves no useful purpose in the play of the game. It's merely sitting on the table looking pretty and reminding people which suit is currently trump.
My question is: How should I best write and draw on cocobolo? I could use red and black paint for the suits, but it seems a shame to spoil the beauty of the wood. I'd rather have something a bit more subtle. I've never done woodburning, but I thought that might be a possibility?
Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance,
-- Eric Sink

Woodburning is a good option, perhaps even woodcarving to carve out the symbols. Its not uncommon to see some kind of sticker or paper image of the symbol glued to the wood and then covered with an appropriate finish to 'seal' it in also.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System - Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench ------------------------------------------------------------
What about using a contrasting wood for the suites and cut them thin and glue it on each face?

Consider laser engraving. You get a subtle image which is razor sharp. I used laser engraving on the cover of a 3-ring presentation binder made of mesquite. Contact me for a photo if interested in seeing it. Glenn
* Re: Our address...From a Scot ballad, circa 1350: "Oh, my name is Little Jock Elliot, an' ( wha daur meddle wi' me?")

black only shows so well on cocobolo if it gets at all dark.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
This is a good opportunity to learn marquetry......

Find someone that does laser carving, you should be able to send them a cube and the idea and get the cube back for a reasonable cost.

Thanks to all the responders for the good ideas. I'm not sure which one I will end up with. When I'm done, I'll post pix. :-)