How to wire a switch on a 240v relay?

I am putting a relay before the outlet to my 240v dust collector so I can put a switch in a more convenient place. The coil on the relay is 240v. Do I run one hot to the coil, and run the other hot through a single pole switch back to the other side of the coil? It is only 60ma, so 14 gauge is fine, isn't it?

Seems to me that this ought to work, with the switch open there is no circuit; but I don't have much experience with 240v and I just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding something. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Yes, you can wire it that way; it will work just fine.

However, since the control ckt conductors (wire to the switch) leave the relay box, the wire size will need to match the branch ckt size (fuse/circuit breaker) feeding the dust collector. If it's 15 Amp, you can use #14. Otherwise, you'd have to put *2* fuses in the relay box to protect the remote control conductors to the switch (or use larger wire).

If the whole thing looks like a big hassle, I'd order a different relay with a 24V coil and use low-voltage (Class 2) wiring. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sound like a call to Electro rooter to me

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Just in case you aren't too far along with that: you can get X10 remote relays that handle 220V. I have my 1.5HP dust collector on one. Plug the X10 relay into the 220V socket and the dust collector into it, then plug one or more X10 controllers into one or more 120V sockets, and "bling-bling", you're done. It works well.

Reply to
Dennis M. O'Connor

I haven't even wired up the outlets yet. The X10 stuff I have seen was pretty expensive. Can you suggest an online supply? Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Why not simply pick up a Long Ranger DC Remote?

They work great.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

not crossposted

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:20:36 GMT, "Toller" brought forth from the murky depths:

Just remember that you can't put a switch before a mag starter which are used on most larger DCs and power tools nowadays.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Reply to
Larry Jaques