How to tell if a saw blade is sharp?

Page 2 of 2
Phisherman wrote:

I guess it's sharp.
http://www.mikedrums.com/DeltaBladeTestCut.jpg
--

-MIKE-

Phisherman wrote:

Trick I learned by accident a while back--if your blade is all gunked up, use it to saw a few strips off a piece of UHMW.
J. Clarke wrote:

Hmmmmmm.
--

-MIKE-

J. Clarke wrote:

Isn't UHMW the same as PVC only different?
HeyBub wrote:

No. PVC is vinyl, UHMW is polyethylene or polypropylene processed for very long molecular chains with much crosslinking. It has quite remarkable resistance to abrasion and some self-lubricating properties--I don't know what it does to a saw blade when you cut it but I do know that I had a blade that was burning everything I cut--I was ready to send it out for sharpening--and I cut a piece of UHMW with it and after that it was working like new. I don't know whether it got some UHMW in the pores or whether the UHMW gave it a good cleaning or both.