How to search for tools on the internet?

When ever I do a search, I come up with 1000 Amazon clones. Is there any search engine that ignore them, or any technique to avoid it.

Does anyone know the story behind this problem? I presume Amazon does it to prevent us from finding real companies, but is there more to it?

Reply to
Toller

I don't think it's a grand Amazon conspiracy. These other guys just set up a storefront that has Amazon as the back end. If you click through to the product and buy it, the front end guy gets a cut. Honestly, I don't know how any of these people makes any money because I don't understand the incentive of going through them instead of just going to Amazon. It's not like they even hide the fact that you're buying from Amazon. Putting "-amazon" isn't effective (contrary to a posting I read). I don't know what to tell you except to get a list of reputable online tool merchants and just search their sites.

A brief list from my own experience and an archive search of rec.ww

- Canada
- Used tools

Anyone else please feel free to add other suggestions.

todd

Reply to
todd

On Sat 03 Jan 2004 09:02:47p, "todd" wrote in news:8q6dnV snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Here's my bookmarks. I think I took out the duplicates from your list but I didn't doublecheck. :-)

Dan

I search for a lot of things, not just tools, at

Granted, it isn't perfect - but it is a pretty neat concept, nonetheless.

--Joseph

Reply to
Joseph Ferris

A couple more...

Hardware - Atlanta

J. Redmond & Son, Inc. - General, Jet, Powermatic, Delta etc. - Atlanta

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Just has something to do with meta tags. People stuff hidden things into their HTML to try to make it come to the top of search engines.

There's also some element of paying Google money too, probably.

Anyway, why do you say Amazon isn't a "real" company? I bought my JET mini lathe from them for $199.95, free shipping. Free shipping on an 80-pound hunk of cast iron is a damn good deal!

I thought it was pretty weird buying a machine from them too, until I compared prices. They had the lowest price on this item, plus I saved around $40 in shipping. Kind of a no-brainer. (No commercial interest, just happy with how the transaction went.)

Reply to
Silvan

nonetheless.

And, with Google, I tried: bosch 1581AVSK Got lots of Amazon and Yahoo hits.

Changed the search line to:

bosch 1581AVSK -amazon -yahoo

and they were all gone.

Doug Warner

Well, I just tried the same experiment. It left a bunch of places that if you follow the links you still end up at Amazon.

todd

Reply to
todd

always best price, but close.

Good Site, thanks. Down at the bottom it says

- $10 off purchase $151+ - code: tk0410

What is that about?

Reply to
Toller

The site lists rebates/coupons each with limitations, terms and conditions. "tk0410" apparently applied to toolking.com purchases. $10 off after spending $150+ is no big deal. Amazon.com had some great discounts including free s/h over the holidays.

There are many rebates / coupons for tools, and they are not automatically applied when making purchases. Buyers have to ferret out these savings and then apply them either at vendor sites or by meeting requirements and sending them to manufacturers.

Amazon is great for not telling buyers that there are additional coupons / savings to be had. It pays to be savvy.

Has anyone mentioned...

a tabletop bandsaw 2 years ago. They charge only $18 shipping for NY to OH. Good deal. Check it out. Joe

Reply to
kb8qlr

For example purposes let's suppose you're looking for brass hinges.

  1. Use quote marks to denote phrases such as:

"brass hinge"

  1. Use a plus sign (+) before each word that MUST be included in the results such as:
+"solid brass hinge" +Brusso +retail

  1. Use a minus sign (-) to exclude pages that contain a certain word such as:

+"solid brass hinge" +Brusso +retail -Amazon

  1. Start by being as specific as possible. If you don't find what you're looking for try relaxing your search requirements.

+"solid brass hinge" +Brusso -Amazon or
  • hinge +Brusso -Amazon

HTH

Nova