How to search for tools on the internet?

When ever I do a search, I come up with 1000 Amazon clones. Is there any search engine that ignore them, or any technique to avoid it.
Does anyone know the story behind this problem? I presume Amazon does it to prevent us from finding real companies, but is there more to it?

I don't think it's a grand Amazon conspiracy. These other guys just set up a storefront that has Amazon as the back end. If you click through to the product and buy it, the front end guy gets a cut. Honestly, I don't know how any of these people makes any money because I don't understand the incentive of going through them instead of just going to Amazon. It's not like they even hide the fact that you're buying from Amazon. Putting "-amazon" isn't effective (contrary to a posting I read). I don't know what to tell you except to get a list of reputable online tool merchants and just search their sites.
A brief list from my own experience and an archive search of rec.ww
www.coastaltool.com http://www.internationaltool.com http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com http://www.toolcrib.com http://www.houseoftools.com - Canada http://nebraskatool.com - Used tools www.rockler.com www.woodcraft.com www.toolsforless.com
Anyone else please feel free to add other suggestions.
todd
in

didn't doublecheck. :-)
http://www.restoredane.org/index.cfm http://www.thewoodworkerschoice.com / http://www.duluthtrading.com / http://www.wwhardware.com / http://www.harborfreight.com/ http://www.right-tool.com / http://www.thesawshop.com/index.shtml http://www.internationaltool.com/freud.htm http://www.woodpeck.com/index.html http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp http://www.woodbits.com/Catalog/catalog_6.html http://www.coastaltool.com / http://www.toolseeker.com / http://www.mulecab.com / http://www.888sharpco.com / http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com / http://woodworkerssupply.com/cgi-bin/home.exe http://www.jointech.com/index.html http://www.homesteadfinishing.com / http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com /
todd said:

A couple more...
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com / Highland Hardware - Atlanta
http://www.redmond-machinery.com/default.htm Wm. J. Redmond & Son, Inc. - General, Jet, Powermatic, Delta etc. - Atlanta
Greg G.
Toller wrote:

I search for a lot of things, not just tools, at http://www.froogle.com . Granted, it isn't perfect - but it is a pretty neat concept, nonetheless.
--Joseph

And, with Google, I tried: bosch 1581AVSK Got lots of Amazon and Yahoo hits.
Changed the search line to:
bosch 1581AVSK -amazon -yahoo
and they were all gone.

Well, I just tried the same experiment. It left a bunch of places that if you follow the links you still end up at Amazon.
todd
Toller wrote:

Just has something to do with meta tags. People stuff hidden things into their HTML to try to make it come to the top of search engines.
There's also some element of paying Google money too, probably.
Anyway, why do you say Amazon isn't a "real" company? I bought my JET mini lathe from them for $199.95, free shipping. Free shipping on an 80-pound hunk of cast iron is a damn good deal!
I thought it was pretty weird buying a machine from them too, until I compared prices. They had the lowest price on this item, plus I saved around $40 in shipping. Kind of a no-brainer. (No commercial interest, just happy with how the transaction went.)
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 02:40:33 +0000, Toller wrote:

I start here
http://www.toolseeker.com/index.htm
Not always best price, but close.

Good Site, thanks. Down at the bottom it says - $10 off purchase $151+ - code: tk0410
What is that about?
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:48:42 +0000, Toller wrote:

The site lists rebates/coupons each with limitations, terms and conditions. "tk0410" apparently applied to toolking.com purchases. $10 off after spending $150+ is no big deal. Amazon.com had some great discounts including free s/h over the holidays.
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:48:42 +0000, Toller wrote:

There are many rebates / coupons for tools, and they are not automatically applied when making purchases. Buyers have to ferret out these savings and then apply them either at vendor sites or by meeting requirements and sending them to manufacturers.
Amazon is great for not telling buyers that there are additional coupons / savings to be had. It pays to be savvy.
Has anyone mentioned... http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index2.html Bought a tabletop bandsaw 2 years ago. They charge only $18 shipping for NY to OH. Good deal. Check it out. Joe
Be sure to check-out our webpages... http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

Toller wrote:

For example purposes let's suppose you're looking for brass hinges.
1. Use quote marks to denote phrases such as:
"brass hinge"
2. Use a plus sign (+) before each word that MUST be included in the results such as:
+"solid brass hinge" +Brusso +retail
3. Use a minus sign (-) to exclude pages that contain a certain word such as:
+"solid brass hinge" +Brusso +retail -Amazon
4. Start by being as specific as possible. If you don't find what you're looking for try relaxing your search requirements.
+"solid brass hinge" +Brusso -Amazon or
+ hinge +Brusso -Amazon
HTH -- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)