How to remove whitewash from wood ceiling

I'm buying a house that has a open-beam ceiling in the living room. They recently sandblasted it down to the bare wood and then whitewashed it. I don't care for it myself and am wondering if there is a way to take the whitewash color off and get back to the bare wood (or something close) so I can stain it to a darker (regular) wood color. Does the whitewash just sit on top of the wood or does white actuall soak in? I can still see the grain through the white so I know it's not paint. Would a paint remover or some sort of chemical stripper work?
Monty
Question, did they use sand as the blast media, if so has the broken down silica dust been picked up and is the house clean? "Sand" for a sand blast media is very dangerous stuff.
--
Rumpty