How to remove the coating from a new router bit?

Page 2 of 2

Does that cut down on the Godawful smell when you first use the bit?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Perhaps there's an 800 number you can call for assistance.
On 29 Oct 2006 13:10:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I just slit it with my knife and peel it off.
Thanks, Barry. Apparently, the ladies who had such a hard time with this question really wanted to encourage a newbie to practice on a $70 bit. Because they were born knowing everything and never had to ask anybody; they were using routers when they were in utero. That's why they're famous and have their own TV shows. Or maybe because their Chinese bits never cost over $5 so why not experiment? Try acetone, a torch, sandpaper, it's only $5.
B A R R Y wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Same way you do with a latex rubber.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reading this immediately following the post that said: : :I just slit it with my knife and peel it off.
kinda makes me cringe!!

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:10:17 -0800, remod2006 wrote:

Hmmm ... apparently you were serious. The stuff will peel off with just your fingernails ... no risk of harming either a $70 bit or a $5 one. It's just a type of wax. Or you really could just run the bit and, if it didn't fly off on its own, make a sample cut into a piece of wood. Wear eye protection whenever running the router and especially when using the above method for peeling off the protective wax.
Bill