How to remove latex paint from white metal cupboard?

I was given a metal cupboard for my shop, originally white, that someone painted a hideous brown with what appears to be latex paint. Is there any easy way to get the latex paint off without destroying the original white enamel surface?

Reply to
mikey2

I am guessing it was a baked-on enamel finish. Just thought it would look better with the original white paing, and I did not particularly want to repaint it.

Reply to
mikey2

Easy way?? Not really. Possible way? Yes. Acetone. This will break down the latex coating and leave the oil-based finish alone. If the paint was a top quality 100% acrylic latex gloss or semi gloss, you will have some tough work ahead of you. If the original sprayed finish underneath is a water-based paint, you are doomed though.

HTH

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:26:19 -0700, mikey2 brought forth from the murky depths:

Ammonia and denatured alcohol should both dissolve the latex and neither should harm the white enamel. The white enamel might be torn up under there, so be prepared, especially if they did a proper prep before adding the brown paint.

--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques