How To Make Treated Lumber

I'm getting ready to cut my own lumber from trees and I want to use the lumber for an outside project. What can I do to make the lumber survive outside? Can I make my own treated lumber?
Thanks, Dale
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

no
Sure you can. If it is made commercially, you can make it too. How much money have you got? The equipment could be a might bit expensive.

Depend. Do you like working with Arsenic?
If you live in Manville NJ you can just lay the lumber in your backyard. The creosote in the ground will leech into the lumber.
Other than that I don't think so.

That is blatantly NOT TRUE! The asbestos fibers in the ground contamination soaked up all the creosote years ago!

Which exit is that located ? :)
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Exit 10 to 287 N
Follow the glow from there

Got it.
Is that not the toll booth that hands out MSDSs after you pay the toll?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No, you really can't make your own.
It takes lots of heat, pressure, nasty chemicals and expensive equipment.
On the other hand, there are many naturally rot-resistant woods - cedar and cypress, for example.
There are also coatings you can use to reduce the damaging effects of the sun. I like Flood's CWF-UV.
To help prevent water absortion into end grain, you can do something as simple as soaking the end of the wood in used motor oil.
These are many methods. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that works for you.
Gus
On 11 Sep 2005 18:49:16 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

Cut only black locust, cedar, redwood, or cypress trees for outside lumber.
Or take your cut pineywood to a kiln who will pressure-treat it for you. That should be a good trick!
--
Never ascribe to malice that which can
be adequately explained by stupidity.

It would probably be many many times cheaper to simply buy the wood that meets you specifications.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I should hope so as it would be peculiar to make lumber from anything else...

Farmers have been doing it for their fenceposts for centuries. Of course they planned ahead and planted rot-resistant wood like black locust or osage orange.
--

FF